Thread: 1956 Buick Special 4 Dr

1956 Buick Special 4 Dr

Hello there guys,

I've just returned home from a 40 hour round trip from Oklahoma with a 1956 Buick Special 4 Door. It has no rust thru-throughout the body and is quite solid for my first restoration project. I'm looking for some good old fashion wisdom on this one...I want to rebuild the motor myself. My question is this-- what should I attempt to do on my own....and what part of the engine rebuild should I have done by an expert...

I want to feel good about the entire restoration project....one in which my hands did most of the wrenching. I hope to think some good pointers are coming my way from all the experience here....God Bless and thank you for your response

Sincerely

Perry

Awesome

Perry,
    Welcome, I agree with you on the wrenching yourself I have a 53' Special I am trying to do all the work myself. This is a great site as people from all over will try and help when they can. I have found allot of parts for my car at Kanter and on ebay. I just redid my floorpans in the cabin and am working the ignition system. My only recommendation is to track down a buick manual for your car, then whatever you decide to do you have a basis you will also have a much deeper appreciation for the car when you spend your own blood sweat and tears on it. I have busted many a knuckle on mine so far in the first year and lost some hair and skin while welding but I love it!
    SpecialJR53

Thank you for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by specialjr53 View Post
    Perry,
    Welcome, I agree with you on the wrenching yourself I have a 53' Special I am trying to do all the work myself. This is a great site as people from all over will try and help when they can. I have found allot of parts for my car at Kanter and on ebay. I just redid my floorpans in the cabin and am working the ignition system. My only recommendation is to track down a buick manual for your car, then whatever you decide to do you have a basis you will also have a much deeper appreciation for the car when you spend your own blood sweat and tears on it. I have busted many a knuckle on mine so far in the first year and lost some hair and skin while welding but I love it!
    SpecialJR53
    Well, its sounds like your having a great time...that's what it should feel like...I notice you worked on your floor pan...and actually my back passenger window was broken so water got to the back floor and rusted thru....where you able to remove the old floor pan with the care still on the frame? If so like to hear in more detail some insight on that part of your restoration....And also I did pick up a 56 manual for the car its going to be a great resource thats for sure...I tell you this car purchase has been the best thing I've done in years.....Keep in touch

Sincerely

Perry

floors

Perry,
    My floors were rotted through in quite a few places. I didn't use remanufactured floor pans although they were cheap enough around $50.00 a piece. I got some scrap sheets of steel from work of a fairly thin gauge and cut out the rusted areas then welded in without removing the body from the frame. I did smell some warm rubber so I would do it differently if I did it all over again. My floorpans were nearly flat and not so deep so it seemed like a fairly quick job. I then siliconed between the welded stiches I did then sprayed a bedliner undercoating on the inside flooring. I have yet to clean the frame side and spray that. I appears nice inside the cab and figured I will be putting some matting in and then carpet eventually.
    Best of luck!