- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: 65 Riviera ignition drama!

65 Riviera ignition drama!

Maybe someone else has had this problem.. My 65 riv is gutted and ready for paint. It's got a fresh 401 nailhead and as I was putting it back together I ran into an oddball ignition problem. When I put the key in the ignition (which is just hanging) and turn it to run, the starter engages for a second as it crosses to run.. It doesn't do it when it gets to run, just as you cross over to it. It also does it when you turn the car off and cross back over to off.

I replaced the ignition switch, the starter solenoid, starter wiring, everything. I can't figure it out.. The only other thing that changed was the ignition wire on the coil. It has an MSD billet distributor and that meant I had to run the low voltage ignition wire to a relay to trigger a full 12 volts to the MSD.

Maybe it's something as simple as not having the rest of the dash plugged in? Maybe a ground? Any ideas?

Thanks!

You said the ignition switch is "hanging". I assume this means it isn't grounded to the dash. Try grounding the switch housing to see if this makes any difference. If that doesn't change anything, disconnect all of the non-stock wiring you installed for the MSD. This is just for trouble-shooting purposes so you can narrow down the actual location of the problem. Is there any other non-stock wiring of any kind installed on the car?

I just thought of something else. Are you still running the original 1965 type alternator with an external regulator?

Ray

Ahh.. Funny you bring up the Alt.. It's a power master one wire, so that opens another door. I grounded the ignition switch because it was easy No change.. In thinking back, it started doing this when I put the motor back in, but there are some harnesses not hooked up.. The aux relay and headlight relays were on the forward harness with the turn signals so they aren't plugged in.

Th alternator might have something to do with it. The one wire kit came with a plug for the factory regulator that blocks it off but continues the flow of power. It also had a plug on the alt side that plugged into the alternator and then into the harness. When that plug was plugged in it caused a constant drain on the battery. I unplugged it and the charging system works fine now.

I took pics to attach but I guess we can't without an outside account. Thanks for your help!