Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb numbers..

Carb numbers..

Hi all

I an usually not much of a forum guy but I am not having any luck elsewhere.

I am finally sorting out my 66 Riv and I am looking to rebuild the carb. There is no number showing however and I was wondering if anyone could tell be where to locate it? Its for a 425 and its a single 4 bbl...and I am assuming its a carter.

This car is getting a good going over and where I am at(Nova Scotia)parts can be an issue.

Thanks to all in advance.

A '66 Riv. with a 425 SHOULD have a Rochester Quadrajet as original equipment. There SHOULD be a little round tag on the secondary part of the carb. on the left side. As my recollection, from memory, 7026240 should be the number. To be absolutely sure I would have to actually look it up. IF, it does have an AFB (aluminum four barrel) someone changed the original intake manifold OR the whole engine.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Tom is correct. There were a few other numbers, but Tom gave the most common. Here is the list:

1966 425 nailhead (Wildcat 465) - production code MW:
    7026240 - no A.I.R.
    7036240 - Air Injection Reactor (A.I.R.) to meet California emissions requirements
    7041304 - service replacement, no A.I.R.
    7041308 - service replacement, A.I.R.

The q-jet was also use on the 1966 GS "400". So it is possible, but unlikely, you might find one of those carbs. Here are those numbers:

1966 401 nailhead (Wildcat 445) - production code MU:
    7026242 - no A.I.R.
    7036242 - Air Injection Reactor (A.I.R.) to meet California emissions requirements
    7041307 - service replacement, no A.I.R.
    7041309 - service replacement, A.I.R.
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43

You will find more information which may be helpfull here:

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...chassis/60.php

and here:

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...uretor_numbers

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Awesome

Thanks alot guys...That is exactly what I needed. I thought it was a Rochester too but when I did some research the kept talking about Carters....or was that just for the double set up?

Anyway...I have lots to learn...Tune up is done except for points which I have on order...starter is replaced...thank god there is still a guy who rebuilds those around here...I have a new master cylinder on but the brakes need bleeding...and attention.

I have a work in progress and I am loving every minute of it. Thanks again for your help and I will post again if I run into a snag.

Tony

Welcome !!

Welcome to the Team Buick site Tony - checkout the Riviera Owners Association (ROA), at www.rivowners.org when you get a chance, there might be something of interest for you there too !!
    Good luck with your 2nd generation Riviera !!
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

Additional information for Quadrajets

[QUOTE=Rivman;83345]Welcome to the Team Buick site Tony - checkout the Riviera Owners Association (ROA), at www.rivowners.org when you get a chance, there might be something of interest for you there too !!
    Good luck with your 2nd generation Riviera !! [Tony - I also have a 1966 Riviera with the 425 and Quadrajet. I have been messing around with Quadrajets since the early 70's and I have a few more generic tips for you in dealing with Quadrajets. First - the carb number can be in two different locations. Yes, a carb number can be found in the round metal tag on the driver's side in the middle of the main carb body. But, a carb number can also be found stamped vertically on a "rib" of the main body - right by the secondary throttle shaft on the driver's side. Second - I have seen a couple of Quadrajets that DO NOT HAVE A CARB NUMBER stamped on it anywhere. I am assuming they were "service replacement" carbs - but, I do not know for sure. Third - If you search the Internet - you will find different websites listing different carb numbers for your car. Why - I do not know. Just be skeptical about what people say should be the proper number should be and do your own research. The numbers I see listed on this posting look like the correct numbers I have seen before. Fourth - Be aware that the main difference between Chevy Quadrajets and BOP (Buick-Olds-Pontiac) Quadrajets is in the throttle linkage and the way the choke operates. Look closely at some photos and you will see what I am talking about. Fifth - Some people call them Quadrajunks because early on they got a bad reputation for driveability problems. I have had several cars with them and right now own about thirty Quadrajets and I have NEVER had any unusual probelms. Actually, when they are rebuilt correctly and set up correctly - they are a great carb. Sixth - There are two things that you need to watch out for when you rebuild one. The first is the two casting "plugs" in the bottom of the float bowl. When you disassemble the carb - turn the float bowl (main body) upside down and you will see the two casting plugs side by side. These are used in the casting process and the "plugs" can leak fuel and it drip down into the intake manifold - making the engine difficult to start. In the rebuild kit, you will find a black foam "gasket" that will fit right in the recess where the two plugs are. BE SURE to use it. It will seal the plugs and keep fuel from dripping out. The second is to be sure to use the OEM metal gasket between the carb and the intake. If you don't - when hot - the engine may be difficult to start because heat from the intake "soaks" into the carb and causes the fuel to percolate. Seventh - if you need any additional help with your carb - Please be sure to post on here. I will keep watch for any new postings and reply as soon as I can. Thanks, I didn't know that I was so long winded about these things. Good Luck!! BluesBrothersBuicks]

Wow Thanks!

Right on...sorry for the late reply...been busy....thanks for all that info and tips. I am going with the number and ordering a kit from the specs that I recieved on this post and I will try to rebuild it over the holidays. I am looking to replace tranny filter as well. I had an issue finding a oil filter that matched the size of the oil filter that was on it...I found one for an 1986 V-8 Riv and the holes line(no leaks) but it is much smaller(about half) than the old one...I dont know if this will be an issue or not but the car runs fine.

Things have slowed on the car a bit due to the Christmas season...its not the weather...the weathers good...just Christmas as a whole...busy...busy...busy...Maybe I will ask for a fuel pump for Christmas?

Thanks again guys...I will be in touch.

Tony

I have another issue....

Hi guys

I have made some progress but have hit a snag. I finally got the carb kit(took an act of the almighty)and everything seems fine except my carb(4MC)has the old needle(the first design) and the kit has a newer one which will not fit.

Can I buy the old style needle somewhere?...And if not do I have options besides buying a new carb?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Just my opinion here, but I think you need to identify exactly what you have via the engine code as a '66 Riv. NEVER came with a Rochester 4GC. The only carb. I know of for a '66 Riv. is the Quadrajet. I would settle for a Carter AFB as a 2nd. choice over a 4GC.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"