Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new member in PA about to own 64 Special Deluxe

I used Nelias Notary in Allentown behind Stallies on Hanover or Broad depending on where you are on the road. They helped me with the 66 ten years ago.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

I bought the car

Hi Raycow, I saved this 64 special deluxe 1 day before it was slated for the junk yard. Took it home today. This is really fun, I found some of the parts in various crusty boxes in the trunk and interior shell that I didn't see when I looked at the car last week. The body tag was removed from the firewall and I don't think I'll find that but it appears this car might have been coral mist irridescent with silver interior. Sounds like it was a good combo. I will post more pics as I go but for now I am taking inventory of what came with this shell of a car.

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations, Kevin - but you didn't tell us the most important part. What did you do about the title?

Ray

well, I have the title as-is. That means that the title has 2 changes of hands on the back that were never notarized- this is a no-no in PA. My plan is to reach out to the last legit owner on this title. I plan to mail a letter to the address and explain myself in the letter and reach out for maybe some help in properly switching me over to the title. I was ready to walk away from the deal and I emailed the guy who was selling it and basically said good luck with the car if you ever get the title squared away keep me in mind. He responded with some of the same pleasentries and said it was nice meeting me but it's going to the junk yard tomorrow. When I heard that I just said I am going to save this car. If he was bluffing, then well-played, sir. I doubt he was bluffing though, knowing that he was keeping it at his parents house and he was over his head with this project.

Kevin

Kevin

hai guys i am new to this site....

http://www.engineperformancechip.com/buick-c-4]Performance Chips For Buick[/url]
    http://www.engineperformancechip.com/buick-c-4]Performance Chips For Buick[/url]

Well, a few months ago I mailed a letter with pictures of the title to the last notarized owner on the PA title, explaining how I have the car now and would love to get his help signing it over to me in front of a Notary. I also happened to find someone with the same name and location out on My Life so I joined My Life so that I could send him a message (his address changed since the one on the title). We'll see if I hear anything back from him.

Cant you just apply for lost title in PA? No body tag might be a big problem however.
    Last edited by 65specialconvert; 02-06-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe

Well, I actually have the official title, problem is that the last 2 changes of hands were not notarized. The buck tag is long gone, but the original VIN tag is still riveted to the driver's door front post.

Update! Great news!

I AMECSTATIC! My 1964 Buick Special Deluxe 2 door had the title with itwhen I bought it but there were multiple un-notarized ownership transferswritten on it. In fact, the guy I bought it from never signed the title. In PA,you must have the ownership (title) officially notarized, which means you andthe seller go to a tags place and tell them the purchase price, etc. and theynotarize the transfer and charge the PA sales tax for the disclosed sellingprice (there are minimums now so you can't say "I paid $1" for adrivable vehicle), plus the titling fees.

Well, I sent letters to multiple addresses on record for the guy officiallyprinted on the title (the addres on the official title, plus another closeaddress I found in the white pages under the same name), but never heard back.Plus, the address on the title is in a not-so-nice section of Philadelphia so Iwasn't going to show up unannounced to ask for help with getting ittransferred. Plus who knows if he still lived there, or for that matter wasstill alive, the titling date was 2006.

I called PennDOT and they suggested that I submit a Petition to the Court ofCommon Pleas of my county and have a judge sign documentation for what I wantto do. So I made multiple trips to the Courthouse to consult with the Office ofthe Prothonotary, and also the Law Library to put together my petition,supporting documentation, and court order draft.

So today was my day in court, and there were many people, lawyers, policeofficers, and such there for DUI hearings, swear-ins, and then there were 2title hearings (mine and a guy with a Vespa situation somewhat similar tomine). Vespa case went before me, and this guy had hired a lawyer, and theylaid out their case and the judge was fine with it.

Next was me (I represented myself with no legal experience). Judge's firstwords: "So, 1964 Buick Special? You must love aggrivation!" To that Isaid "Your Honor, I love the classics." And to that he responded with"Actually, so do I". (at this point I'm thinking he's a car guy!yes!). He asks me to describe the condition of the car, so I tell him, thenexplain how I intend to restore it and put classic tags on it. Then he tells mehow now in PA I can get a vintage 1964 tag for it if I wanted to, and all kindsof good info on how to do it (how nice!). Then I explained all the steps I took(this was all documented in my write-up that he had, just verbally summarized).He said he'd have no problem signing the order, then they swore me in, and in afew minutes I was out of there with my certified signed order!

I ran into the Vespa guy and his lawyer at the Office of the Prothonotaryafterwards (to get sealed, dated certified copies) and they were like"how'd you do?" and I said how I got it signed, and congratulatedthem on their win as well. The Vespa owner said "are you an attorney?"and I said "no, I represented myself" and he smiled and gave a looklike "damn, I hired a lawyer for this...shoot!"

Sorry for the long story but now I'll be able to drive my Special on thestreet, 100% legal and on the up-and-up! No shady out of state title serviceschemes.

If anybody in PA wants to find out more details if you're in the samesituation, just PM me and I can lay it all out for you.

Kevin
    1964 Buick Special Deluxe
    Buick 350-4v
    Saginaw 4 speed
    1983 Monte Carlo drag car
    1969 Mercury Cougar