- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: 12V starter solenoid for 6v starter on 50 special

12V starter solenoid for 6v starter on 50 special

Hey all,

I have recently purcahsed a 1950 special jetback that was (partially) converted to 12 volts by the previous owner. The starter motor is the original, as is the solenoid assembly. The solenoid cover as come loose and is in need of replacement. I am trying to find a 12v solenoid that will work with my original starter. Does anyone have a part number or more info? Will a solenoid from a '53 work and mount like the original?

I have spent a lot of time looking around the site and have seen where most people suggest the 12v solenoid but can't find any info on which solenoid they used.

Thanks for all of you help.

A 53 Super or Roadmaster solenoid should work. 53 Specials are 6V. Most other 53-56 GM 12V car solenoids should also work, with one exception that I know of. GM changed their solenoid design in 1957 so that it bolts to the drive housing instead of the starter case. The exception is either Olds or Pontiac, which changed to the new type in 56, but I can't remember which one. The two designs are quite different in appearance, so you shouldn't have any difficulty telling them apart.

When replacing your 6V solenoid, you will have to deal with two issues. First, the terminals are oriented differently on the 12V solenoid, so you will have to bend the copper strap coming out of the starter. This shouldn't be a problem, as the strap is more than long enough to reach the terminal on the 12V solenoid.

Second, does your 6V solenoid have a relay on it for the throttle starting feature? This is a rectangular housing at the terminal end of the solenoid. If yes, and you want to keep the gas pedal start, you will need to add a remotely-mounted relay from a 12V Buick. This relay was used until 1960, and reproductions are still available from the vintage parts vendors. You can also substitute a universal Bosch-type "cube" relay, which you can get at any parts store for a lot less money than the stock repro.

If you are staying with a generator, wire the new relay just like the old one. For an alternator, you will need to modify the "ARM" side of the relay coil circuit. If you don't feel up to doing this, forget about the relay and just wire a separate starter button directly to the solenoid.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 06-14-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Great Thanks. It looks like this is the one I need. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QQSISS210.html

It has already been changed to a push button ignition but everthing is still run through the relay that is mounted on the post end of the 6v solenoid. I guess I'm going to have to get a relay also. Maybe this one? http://www.bobsautomobilia.com/index...product_id=616

EDIT: Oops just saw that I can just forgo the relay and wire the solenoid right to the starter button.
    Last edited by Bloch; 06-15-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Bloch, that solenoid looks like a good choice. It even has the terminals in the same place as the 6V solenoid. You should be good to go.

Ray

Thanks for all of your help.

So if I change my solenoid over to 12v I can use my original starter(1952 45R) when I re-wire my car for 12v?

Jodezilla, you can keep the 6V starter. However, if you are still using the throttle start feature you should replace the starter relay with a 12V unit. The stock Buick 12V relays are reproed, but you can also use a universal "cube" relay which will cost less money. If the car has been changed over to push button or key switch starting you won't need the relay at all.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 07-12-2012 at 12:55 AM.

thanks Ray,

Do you have a link as where I could buy the less expensive relay? I'd like to keep the car fairly original, the floor start is pretty neat and I think it should stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodezilla View Post
    Do you have a link as where I could buy the less expensive relay? I'd like to keep the car fairly original, the floor start is pretty neat and I think it should stay.
    This page shows what the cube relay (sometimes called a Bosch-type relay) looks like:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-073

You don't have to order it from that particular vendor. The relay is a universal or generic item that is used in lots of automotive and non-automotive applications. Almost any car less than 20 years old is likely to have at least one of them on it. Most parts stores should have the relay in stock, as will Radio Shack and (I think) Grainger. If you want to, you can even get one at a salvage yard.

At some vendors you may be offered the choice of a 4 or 5 terminal version. Either type will work on your car. If you get the one with 5 terminals, you will use only 4 of them. The relay should come with a terminal identification diagram, either printed on its housing or on a separate piece of paper.

So you can compare the two, this is what the stock Buick relay looks like:
    http://www.bobsautomobilia.com/index...product_id=616

As you can see, the cube relay is not quite a bolt-on replacement. It has blade terminals instead of screw, so you will have to change your wire terminals to the push-on type. If you are still running a generator, that's the only modification you will need to do.

If you have an alternator and your old relay still works, just wire the new relay the same way as the old one. If you have an alternator and the old relay doesn't work, we may need to have a longer discussion.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 07-13-2012 at 12:35 AM.