- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 67 GS 400 and no oil pressure

Question 67 GS 400 and no oil pressure

I think I really messed up. I pulled the motor and replaced all gaskets and seals. Put the motor back in and tried to prime the oil pump and now I have no oil pressure. I used vaseline too to pack the pump. Replaced the oil pump gears, spring and valve and still no deal.

To prime I am using the GM tool in a drill to spin the pump. I also put the distributor in and turned the motor over for 10 seconds and still nothing.

Is it possible to put the oil pump pickup tube in backwards where it is not in the oil. I don't think so cause I don't think I could get the oil pan back on. Does the hole in the valve need to be in a certain location?

I am at a loss!

There would not have to be much of an air leak where the pickup tube bolts to the block to not get oil. Another spot which could give a problem is the timing cover gasket not sealing well around the suction hole. You might be able to pull your oil filter to get a feel for this being the problem.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I would think I would get some pressure though.....

I would think I would get some pressure though.....

When you say pull the oil filter, what would I look for? Timing cover is something I should check before I take it to a shop.

And thank for the reply.

If your sucking air, you won't get any pressure or oil out of the filter mount. If you are getting a reasonable amount of oil out of the filter, then you are loosing it on the pressure side of the pump.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Got it. Thanks.

I'll pull the filter.

Just got back from vacation so I'm back on the Oil pressure issue again..........

Just got back from vacation so I'm back on the Oil pressure issue again..........

Pulled the motor again and starting over........More to come.........

Pulled the motor again and starting over........More to come.........

Red face Found my Issue on no oil pressure

I pulled the motor again and started over. Pulled all of the main bearings and rod bearings. Cleaned them again but with paper towers instead of red shop rags. I noticed red lint in the bearings. I also noticed I placed the rear rope seal in the wrong groove in the rear main bearing cap. Stupid and I don't even drink.

I replaced the oil pickup gasket again and put the motor back together and now I have great oil pressure.

The motor is back in the car and I am finished on the bottom end. Now for the top end PS, AC, Hoses, etc.....

The only thing I am nervious about is the timing and TDC. Since I didn't pull the cam, I should be good but we'll see.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Thumbs up Need to close this thread

All issues fixed including my over heating problem. No leaks and great oil pressure. It is so nice not to have pans on the garage floor to catch oil, transmission, power steering and anti-freeze fluids. Vacuum is steady at 18 and temp is steady at 190 as opposed to 210 even in 90 degree weather. Very very happy with those numbers.

So thanks to this forum I was able to correct my issues without paying so called mechanics crazy money for sub par work. It took quite a bit of my time but I know the job was done right.