- 400/430/455 Poston Cams Grinds and Numbers
- 400/430/455 Kenne-Bell Cams Grinds and Numbers
- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: need help with a 68 gs 400 motor (vacume lines & engine sensors wire) new buick owner

need help with a 68 gs 400 motor (vacume lines & engine sensors wire) new buick owner

my 68 gs 400 was not running when purchased so took the motor apart & rebuilt it and the tranny to stock specs, now :1)i dnt remember where the vacume line from the transmission to the intake goes..( i see 2 holes behind the carb that it can go but not shur which 1,there was bolts in the wholes and it wasnt hooked up when disassmbled. 2) is the whole by the oil pump in the block for the oil pressure sencor? 3) the wires seem to be cut on the engine harness that connects to the starter, all the connector to the temp & oil sencor are cut along with the coil and starter wire so im not shure which belongs where, any help would be greatly appreciated

in the picture from left to right is 1.) of course the heater/coolant hose 2.) the brake booster 3.) empty hole 4.) vacume to carb 5.) the vacume to transmission..........when i bought the car the trans vacume was in the empty hole and where the trans vaume is now had a drill bit in it to cover the hole up. bt the trans vacume fits perfect where it is now & not where it was(the hole u see now)..so what goes there or should I just plug it up
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by djcmcs68gs; 05-28-2012 at 12:29 PM.

The transmission vacuum line goes to manifold vacuum. There is a '67 and a '71 Chassis manual in the reference section that may help you with oil flow passages and wiring.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The transmission vacuum line goes to manifold vacuum. There is a '67 and a '71 Chassis manual in the reference section that may help you with oil flow passages and wiring.

thanks will try and look it up, but there are 2 open holes for vacume lines in the intake, when i bought the car the motor was blown and on 1 of the vacume holes in the intake had a drill bit in it to seal the hole bt thats the 1 where the transmission vacume line fits. The other hole is a little tighter & i dnt want to street the thread bt i cant remember if something was hookd up there, .....will try & post pics, (not a big computer person)
    ....sum1 also said that maybe the other hole is for a heater vacume. Is that possible in a 68?
    file://localhost/Users/linamac/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Masters/2012/05/25/20120525-143302/DSC00786.JPG
    Last edited by djcmcs68gs; 05-25-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Intake vacuum ports

One outlet is for the power brake booster, and the other is for the auto trans vacuum modulator.
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivman View Post
    One outlet is for the power brake booster, and the other is for the auto trans vacuum modulator.

thanks, but i already have the brake booster hooked up to the intake through an elbow plug and the vacume line to the transmission hooked up to the intake and also a vacume line to the front of the quadrajet. all 3 arer hooked up the the back of the intake but there is still 1 hole with thread in it so i dnt know what goes to it, but i remember that there was a drill bit in 1 to block it off, so maybe previouse owner made another hole to fit the the vacume line he had & covered the old 1..because I have 4 holes and only need 3 as im told. ( 1.brake booster 2.vacume to carb 3. vacume to transmission) so im a little lost

Quote Originally Posted by djcmcs68gs View Post
    I have 4 holes and only need 3 as im told. ( 1.brake booster 2.vacume to carb 3. vacume to transmission) so im a little lost
    How about PCV?

Ray