- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting 1952 263 to solid lifter valve train.

Converting 1952 263 to solid lifter valve train.

I am in need of your expertise and possibly wisdom with wrapping up my 1952 Buick 263 rebuild. The motor has been professionally machined and balanced, .080 overbore with egge pistons, here in Boise, ID. (engine is mated to dynaflow) (Have an original dual compound intake for the build)

I sent out the cam to have it ground by a reputable Buick restorer in Ohio. He suggested a 3/4 race grind and at his suggestion it was ground for solid lifters. New springs, valves including stainless steel exhaust valves, valve seals, and valve guides were also purchased.

Short story is that the valve pushrods (for solids) that he sent were too long, probably meant for the the taller 248 block. Am I down the wrong path converting to the solid lifters. Unfortunately the cam is already ground for solid lifters. Will the rocker assembly from a hydraulic-lifter 263 work with solid lifter configuration? Can the valve pushrod ends be removed the rods shortened and ends reinstalled?

Thanks in advance for your time, Boise50.

The rocker arms are different you will need the whole set. I have a friend that has Buick straight 8 parts he may have what you need, he doesnt use a PC but here his phone number is --

1-818-353-4303 Frank

Rocker Arms are different?

Quote Originally Posted by 39CENT View Post
    The rocker arms are different you will need the whole set. I have a friend that has Buick straight 8 parts he may have what you need, he doesnt use a PC but here his phone number is --

1-818-353-4303 Frank

Been working on the house so haven't been near the Buick. What's different about the hydraulic vs. solids rocker arm? I am still waiting on the correct length valve pushrods from Ohio.
    Attached Images Attached Images

With the cam ground for solid lifters, you will need a set of solid lifters to prevent premature wear of the cam lobes... Hopefully your cam grinder provided you with a set of solid lifters. Who is your cam regrinder?

When you had the engine cleaned, were you able to have it acid dipped to remove corrosion/slag from the water jackets? I need/want to have my block dipped but unfortunately there's no place in my area to do it. Afterwards, I'll have it sonic tested to determine whether there's any core shift and how much I can bore it...
    I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
    People Eating Tasty Animals
    There's no nookie like chinookie
    No butts like halibuts
    Fish are not our friends, they're food.
    Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Life is sexually transmitted.

I wouldn't expect a difference between solid and hydraulic rocker arms and fail to see one in the parts book. If you can pull the ends on the push rods, there is no reason why you can't shorten them. The cam grinder must have made a big change in the base circle not to be able to use the original with adjustable rockers. You could always lengthen them by knocking .100" off the head.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Solid lifters

Quote Originally Posted by JR9162 View Post
    With the cam ground for solid lifters, you will need a set of solid lifters to prevent premature wear of the cam lobes... Hopefully your cam grinder provided you with a set of solid lifters. Who is your cam regrinder?

When you had the engine cleaned, were you able to have it acid dipped to remove corrosion/slag from the water jackets? I need/want to have my block dipped but unfortunately there's no place in my area to do it. Afterwards, I'll have it sonic tested to determine whether there's any core shift and how much I can bore it...

I did receive the solid lifters....had the block hot tanked and did some other things. I'd like to create another thread for the engine build once I work through this valve pushrod issue.

Valve pushrods

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I wouldn't expect a difference between solid and hydraulic rocker arms and fail to see one in the parts book. If you can pull the ends on the push rods, there is no reason why you can't shorten them. The cam grinder must have made a big change in the base circle not to be able to use the original with adjustable rockers. You could always lengthen them by knocking .100" off the head.
    Bob,

My read of the shop manuals didn't show any difference in rocker arms either, just that the F263 " cylinder crankcase has been reduced 5/8", compared with previous ...248 engines" (from the 1950 shop manual first year of 263). So I think that it where the issue lies for determining valve pushrod length, recognizing that solids require longer than hydraulic. Was told that the pushrod ends were welded on at the factory, so a little difficult to remove.

I came directly out of my Gararge and had the same Problem with "solid" Pushrods from my old 248,they are
    too long for my new 263,also NOW with solid Lifters(was a Dynaflowengine).
    I have push the lower Ends from the short Dynaflowpushrods(its easy with a hammer and a good Screwdriver),
    Cut the long 248-Pushrods 11mm also on the lower Side(yes,a little thru the Endpieces,clean them an push on the
    Endpieces from the 263-Dynaflowengine with Loctite red.
    (The bigger "solid" Bottom-Endpieces I have tryed to remove, it doesnt move like pressed,the "smaller" Hydr. Endpieces are easy to remove.)
    Hope this help You.
    Last edited by Jenz38; 05-15-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

Quote Originally Posted by Boise50 View Post
    Been working on the house so haven't been near the Buick. What's different about the hydraulic vs. solids rocker arm? I am still waiting on the correct length valve pushrods from Ohio.
    The hydraulic rocker arm has oiling holes to feed the lifters...solids don't!
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

I see no Problems with the Oilholes in the Rockerarms, You are Aaron ?
    If yes,please explain it to me,for that i can learn more.
    Now I have installed the shortend (for 7/16")Rods and see ,it can be more,i think for the meassure are
    the 263 are lower than the 248 ,it (=5/8")woud be the correct lenghts.
    Greetings
    Last edited by Jenz38; 05-28-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----