Thread: Building a car for the grandson

Building a car for the grandson

My grandson Travis is eleven yeras old and we started out by building a Cushman engine just to see if he had any interest. He did fine with that project so we picked up a 1931 Chevrolet 5 passenger coupe. It was just the body and frame so we rebuilt the 322 nailhead I took out of the 1955 when the 401 went in.

The engine ran well when it was removed but did use a little oil. It was bored .040 over and all new pistons, rings, bearings, valves, valve springs and valve guides were installed. The cost for the machine work and parts was more than a new crate small block would have been but what a nice engine. I had a dual intake setup that was brand new and found an original set of Buick finned aluminum valve covers we sanded and polished.

We also purchased an adapter from Nailhead Russ at Central Machine so we could use a turbo 400 transmission. Since we just finished the engine the next step is to show him how to rebuild the transmission then we can set the assembly in the frame rails.

Here is a picture of what we started with:

31 Chevrolet 003.jpg
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

I thought you were my Grandpa?

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Wow thats a neat Buick. Don,t see many of those coupes.

Looks like a good start. Rare car, Chevy built that body style in 31 & 32. Good to still see young kids into the old cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Good to still see young kids into the old cars.
    Yeah I agree with you on that. If my grandpa was like the sir above I'd idolize him forever It's not everyday you get to see a Buick THAT rare. nice find sir, I hope you show it to us when you finish.