Thread: 56 Buick Special newbie

Cool 56 Buick Special newbie

Hello from Southern California. My girl and I picked up a 56 Special 4 door hardtop from my uncle about a year ago. We went with a two tone finish and I lowered it about 3 inches. The interior is in great shape but need to work on the guages(electrical). I am going to rewire this winter and hopefully install airbags. I have found so much helpful information on this website and I am very grateful to all those that post. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Panchovilla777; 08-25-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Cool Nice Ride! Did you Uncle do much of the work on interior?

Quote Originally Posted by Panchovilla777 View Post
    Hello from Southern California. My girl and I picked up a 56 Special 4 door hardtop from my uncle about a year ago. We went with a two tone finish and I lowered it about 3 inches. The interior is in great shape but need to work on the guages(electrical). I am going to rewire this winter and hopefully install airbags. I have found so much helpful information on this website and I am very grateful to all those that post. Thank you.
    Yeah that is a nice ride - was the interior done by your Uncle?

Like those lights - have similar features to bumper bullits! Just don't hit anyone on the front!!

Cool

Thanks Stevedude! The interior was pretty ragged when we got it from my uncle. The car was black and emerald green. I got the front bullets off my buddy who supposedly had them fitted for his 56 Buick (R.I.P). I think I'm going to rewire her myself. I'm not much of an electrician but I think I can pull it off. As for the paint, it has some nixs and flat spots .She is semi gloss now but thinking about going with a base coat/clear coat. Not sure ?

Cool 56 Looking Good

Quote Originally Posted by Panchovilla777 View Post
    Thanks Stevedude! The interior was pretty ragged when we got it from my uncle. The car was black and emerald green. I got the front bullets off my buddy who supposedly had them fitted for his 56 Buick (R.I.P). I think I'm going to rewire her myself. I'm not much of an electrician but I think I can pull it off. As for the paint, it has some nixs and flat spots .She is semi gloss now but thinking about going with a base coat/clear coat. Not sure ?
    Yeah cool, so you guys did the work. Bullits add the character (like a 54 chevy truck) Did you get them from your buddy that passed or his 56 passed?

Electrical is really not that hard in the 50's to modernize. You can get the total wiring kits that you basically replace the old. Its usually two wires per connection, three per headlights. You just pay attention to the color or color with a stripe and which side it connects to. First thing you may want to start with is photos of what you have now. Shoot a shot with flash (or increase light with hand held flash light) of your connections you can access in tail light, head lamps and headstanding under the dash.

Paint is what you like and would have fun driving. No one else will determine that look for you.

Good job to this point Do you get to any cruise nights with?

Thanks for the electrical tips Stevedude. My brakes lights have been shorting out along with the flashers,guages etc. The bullets came from my buddys T-boned 56( look both ways before you make a turn) and we were Very fortunate to have all the chrome still intact when we bought her. I had some issues with the starting system but thanks to the forums and the owners manual I got it figured out(so I think). I am located in Los Angeles so there are a lot of cruising spots and hangouts in my area like Ruby's diner and Bobs big boys. They have a couple of cool car Swap meets every month ( Pomona and Long beach). Thanks again for your time and your tips.