Thread: Power Brake Conversion *** INFO NEEDED ***

Power Brake Conversion *** INFO NEEDED ***

I just completed a power brake conversion on my 61 LeSabre. Has anyone on here ever completed the conversion I know that power brakes were an option on some 61 Buicks. I took a brake booster from a 69 chevy pick up, a master cylinder and proportion valve from a 70 chevy truck. I got the master cylinder and valve from the truck because it had power drum brakes with 1 1/8 inch wheel cylinders in front and 1 inch wheel cylinders in the rear just like the LeSabre. If anyone can share any guidance or pointers before i finish this conversion, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Semper Fi.

While power brakes were an option, a split system was not. I don't see any reason why your conversion shouldn't be successful. Let us know how you do.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Unless you're going the extra mile and converting the front to discs, I don't see a reason for a proportioning valve.

I'm doing the power brake conversion on my 64 Wildcat, and using a single master cylinder. I took the brake booster
    out of a 94 Buick; Had to drill the mounting bracket in order to center the brake booster rod. My 64 LeSabre had power
    brakes, but I converted the front to disc so I did need a proportioning valve - that also got a new booster out of a 94
    Buick, plus the dual master cylinder - It bolted right in.

I major major reconfiguration is that; for the non power brake firewall, the bolts come thru from the inside, and they
    are affixed to a bracket on the inside of the firewall. you have to grind these off and drill the brackets because the booster's
    mounting bolts are part of the booster itself and it is affixed to the firewall with nuts on the inside.

There are several issues with the firewall reinforcement bracket for the booster, and after several hours of drilling/fitting,
    I've decided to just get a plate of 3/16 steel and have the reinforcement made at the machine shop.
    You do have to remove the push rod from the non power brake master cylinder, which I just did today, so I don't know yet
    if the marriage is a perfect fit. If there is any slack between the booster and the MC, I will just cut the MC push rod to
    length and put it back in. At the most, I'm guessing maybe 1/8".
    Wish ya luck
    Butch
    64 Wildcat 445 (425)
    64 LeSabre 310 (300)
    67 Impala 327

I have already completed my power brake conversion. I built my car on a budget, so a front brake conversion was out of the question for now. Fortunately, I understand that a brake system is nothing more than a very simple hydraulic system and is not intended to become rocket science. The firewal already had a steel plate that was ridged enough to support the weight and pressure of the brake booster. I didnt have to do anything more than drill two extra holes in the firewall and bolt the booster in with some grade 8 bolts. I used a booster from a 69 chevy C-10 and a master cylinder and proportion valve from a 70 C-10 that was a power drum configuration with 1 inch rear wheel cylinders and 1 1/8 inch front wheel cylinders (Just like the 61). I completed this all in less than a hour (minus the new brake lines) and for less than $40.00. The best part is it works like a wet dream. No need to waste an bunch of time, money, and brain cells to make a car stop.... Hope that your turns out good.

I didn't mean to sound like it was rocket science. my only problem is that the ridge going
    around the firewall brace interferes with the back of the booster and the booster bolts aren't
    long enough to get a nut on the inside. maybe the firewall brace on the 61 is a little wider at
    that point, or the ridge on the booster is a bit narrower. like I said, the LeSabre conversion
    was no pain. the disc brake conversion cost was mostly labor.

where did you serve? Vietnam Riverine here - 60-70

The firewall does have that "lip" that goes around the firewall brace. On the old Chevy pickups, the brake booster had a bracket on the back. The booster bolted to the bracket, and the bracket bolted to the firewall. Built into the bracket was a pivot point that worked like a "Z" bar for a manual transmission. One of the arms hooked to the master cylinder push pin, and the other went to the brake pedal. Here is a picture. Thank you Sir, for your service. I am currently on my 10th year Active Duty, Stationed in Camp Lejeune, NC.
    Attached Images Attached Images