- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 1952 buick special dynaflow detent

1952 buick special dynaflow detent

anyone aware where i can get the detent for the column? i have only found it for the 53 special. when selecting gears, there is no click in, it is loosey goosey.
    Danny

1952 Buick Special Deluxe Riviera two door hardtop

okay, maybe an easier question. which columns interchange so i can try to find one with a working detent?
    Danny

Dynaflow detent

Fixxer, although all the columns look the same from 48 to 52, I'm sure not many interchange. You're probably better off getting parts from another column. I don't know what the procedure is. If a man put it together, a man can fix it. Go for the gusto, good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer711 View Post
    okay, maybe an easier question. which columns interchange so i can try to find one with a working detent?
    Buick Roadmaster
    Model 76S
    Anthony
    aka Straight80

have no problem fixing the problem if i could just find the part.
    Danny

If you cant buy it, build it. If it is just a pin, draw the dimensions of it on paper and i can machine it for you.

it should be something like this, not a pin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-1949-19...#ht_774wt_1112
    Danny

Well, that's part of the detent mechanism. The other part is the spring-loaded pin which engages the notches. Have you disassembled the column far enough to see that the part you pictured is damaged? I am having a hard time trying to imagine how this piece could go bad.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 04-23-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Gixxer-
    I just took apart columns from a '50 Super with manual transmission and a '51 Special with Dynaflow, as part of my conversion of the '51 to manual. That "detent" item on Ebay sits at the bottom of the column, and the shift lever moves a spring loaded pin to locate the gear on the Dynaflow.
    The Buick column includes the outer tube and an inner tube that is moved by the shift lever. The spring loaded pin fits on the mechanisn that connects that inner tube to the shift rod. If you need to move the mechanism to reach the screes and nuts, and depending on what is missing from your car, you may have to do a lot of work to get these installed. The big issue is getting any space to work in. If you cannot otherwise get necessary access, here is the drill1) remove the steering wheel; (2) mark and unplug the six under-dash wires to the turn signal unit and disconnect it from the column, but leave it hanging; and (3) unbolt the column from the steering sector and the dash. Pull the column upwards from inside the car to see if you can get enough room to install the detem mechanism. If you can great. if not, (4) pull back the floor covering and remove the pedal plate and the bar that holds the foam rubber sealing piece around the column to the floor; (5) twist the column clockwise enough so that you can reach the two screws that hold the lower horn wire connector in place about 8 inches above the connections to the sector, and remove the connector (carefully so you don't drop it). That connector keeps you from moving the inner tube nre than about half an inch.
    If you want, I'll box up the detent pieces and ship them to you. They worked just fine last time I used them. No charge as I would just thow them anyway.
    '51 Special