Thread: Drum to disk brakes conversion

Drum to disk brakes conversion

Hello everyone,

I am redoing my front end on my 1972 buick skylark 350. Including; master cylinder, porportioning valve, ball joints, control arm bushings, inner and outer tie rods, adjuster sleeves, centerlink, springs, shocks along with disk brake assembly. I was just looking for some knowledge on this project and things to look out for or do's or don'ts.

First Question... My car does not have a disk brake hold off valve but my dooner car does (dooner car in a 69 or 70's car). Do I need to put the disk brake hold off valve on my car with the set up or could I just put a newer 73-77 porportioning valve to elimanate the disk brake hold off valve?

Thanks

the disc brake proportion valve is different than the drum valve, so you need to swap them. i think the 73 and later items are different and wont work, i know the disc items are different. you may can find used parts from another 70-72 a body car, like a monte carlo.
    on my 72, i got new disc items from ebay and they worked fine. i wanted stock type so i could use any pads, and not need special order ones. kit came with spindles, backing plates and all I needed. about the same price as used I had bought before for the 70 car I have. I think inline tube also has a correct proportioning valve available. I did buy a used one of those from a disc brake car.

hope this helps. good luck.
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

Thank you. I called inline tube yesterday and they sell a proportioning valve that will work for my car so that is the route I will be taking.

Thanks for your help