From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 215,300, 340
- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: oiling issues at the rocker arms????

oiling issues at the rocker arms????

i have a '70 Jeepster Commando with th stock Buick odd-fire 225 V6 in it, i recently finished a rebuild on it with some minor mods, but now that i have it back running i am getting some clattering in the drivers side rockers. I wound up calling comp cams and they sent me another set of lifters, they seemed to think the lifters were stuck. i put the new lifters in and it made a huge improvement, got rid alot of clattering and cleared up all the popping through the exhaust and carb. BUT, i still have some audible clatter in the driver side head that has me a lil nervous...... i have 40#s of pressure at start up and 20-25#'s when warm and 15-20#'s once in gear at idle. I had both the valve covers off and ran it, i put some cardboard down over the headers and got some oil spatter from both sides (not alot in my opinion, but there was spatter) the pass side did have a lil more oil. there is only one oil port to the heads on these engines, for those that arent familiar, and its clear, i also took the rockers apart to make sure all the passages in the arms and the rocker shaft itself was clear. so i am kinda at a loss, i am not a great mechanic but i can get stuff done, my buddy that is a pretty good shade tree mechanic seems to think the lifters just arent fully pumped up yet....... is there any history of weak oil pressure or other issues with these engines after a rebuild......

ANY ideas or advice will be GREATLY appreciated.......

TIA, Jason

nobody........i realize i am an oddball here with my ******* vehicle, lol, i was just hopeing someone would have an idea or a direction to point me in......
    how bout this, can anyone tell me the route the oil takes to get to the rocker arms.....i am just having a hard time here trying to figure this out, because as far a s i can tell the oil passage to the rocker shaft is clear i can run a coat hanger qite a ways down into the engine......

Rocker arm oiling

Links to 66 and 67 shop manuals are on this page:
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...eference_index

The Special/Skylark in those years used the same 225 engine that you have in your Jeep. I haven't looked, but I would expect to see a description there of how the rockers get oil.

Ray

I am not an expert on those early 225 engines, but I can tell you all about every other Buick engine LOL...

Here, these guys will help you, they are the only people I know who know the ins and outs of the 225 engines:

http://www.earlycj5.com/forums/forum...-and-CJ-6-Tech
    Last edited by sean buick 76; 04-09-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    Sean G
    70 Skylark-Twin turbo 350 powered
    75 Regal-350
    76 Century-350
    78 Skyhawk-V6
    and 18 spare Buick 350s in the barn.

thanx for the link, i am a member ECJ5 and the jeepster commando club too, and was actually told to get ahold of a Buick forum to ask around, LOL.....

Like Sean mentioned, comparing to other engines with similar problems. The most common question would be, did you replace the cam bearings, did you check out or replace your oil pump?

Good luck

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

yep all bearings replaced, and i rebuilt the oil pump, the pressure almost doubled after i rebuilt the pump.....

just to button this up and thank you guys for your input, the issue has been resolved, i believe lol. i wound up pulling the cam and found that the front cam bearing was in wrong, and since the passanger side has a groove instead of a hole that side of the top end was getting some oil but starving the drivers side. so i ordered the grooved bearings from TA for my '70 oddfire, and unfortunately for me they dont make them for my engine, so they sent me the grooved ones for the 231 LOL, So now i have the correct standard bearings for my engine and will be getting them in shortly, hopefully resolving my clatter.

thanx again for the help and input
    Jason