- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Is a 200-4R the best replacement for the funky Dual Path in my sweet '62 Special V6?

Is a 200-4R the best replacement for the funky Dual Path in my sweet '62 Special V6?

Subject title is all I needed to ask.

Thanks, for any opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

'best' in what way?

i assume you're bolting this to a 215, you'll likely need an adapter for that. but that answer applies to pretty much any substitute transmission unless you start looking in Rovers for a donor trans.

they can be built to handle drag strip power and you get 2 extra gears over the Dual Path, so that's nice. it doesn't have a lockup convertor though.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

No, not a 215. It has the original 198 V6. Motor Trend's Car of the Year! I want to leave the engine as it was from the factory but update the trans to get more mileage.

The 200-4R would be an excellent choice for your 198 if you can live with the cost of the adapter, presently $725 from Bendtsen's. I was hoping that D&D might have one for less money, but if they do, I couldn't find it on their site.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Pricing.htm

I must respectfully disagree with our esteemed Mr. Mando on one point only: In stock form, the 200-4R most assuredly does have a lockup converter.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 03-16-2012 at 04:10 AM.

Wow...that adapter is WAAAAY out of my budget. I assumed that the BOP pattern 200-4R would bolt right on. So I guess I am stuck with the stock trans then? Rats......

Bendtsen does make a quality product, but unfortunately, their reputation for being expensive is well-proven.

Before you give up completely on the 200-4R, you might want to try phoning D&D at 810-798-2491. They say they have adapter plates available on this page and to "call for details." Please let us know if you find out anything that sounds promising.

http://www.aluminumv8.com/index.htm

Ray

Ok, I finally found the D&D page that lists the adapter. There was an error in the link on their site. Look at 7176-A-10-C. You will still need to phone for a price, though. 810-798-2491.
    http://www.aluminumv8.com/catalogpag...housingetc.htm

Here is another possible source for an adapter. Look at ref #9100 at the bottom of the page. Phone is 661-272–1147.
    http://kennedyenginc.com/OtherAdaptions.aspx/

Ray

In stock form, the 200-4R most assuredly does have a lockup converter.

thanks, Ray. i'm not overly familiar with 200r4s and the wiki page doesn't mention the lockup. i assumed and made an *** out of myself.

I assumed that the BOP pattern 200-4R would bolt right on.

no, the Nailheads and early SBBs ( 1961-63 ) did NOT use the BOP pattern. the SBBs started using the BOP bell with the 300ci in 1964 and Buick adopted the BOP pattern for the larger engines when they retired the Nails and introduced the BBBs in 1967.

No, not a 215. It has the original 198 V6. Motor Trend's Car of the Year!

oof da! don't see those very often.

as i noted before, if you really want to find a direct bolt on alternative, check with the Land Rover guys. Land Rover / British Leyland kept the 215ci v8 in production from 1966 TO 2004. only thing is, they converted it to metric dimensions and called it a "3.5L" or larger. you can get a very new manual, automatic or even 4 wheel drive transfer case system.

could you imagine your Special with 4 wheel drive? now THAT would be special!

more seriously, the transfer case transmissions might be oddball. but the "Rover v8" was used in cars as well as Rover SUVs.

the Rover v8 page lists various applications for the engine. getting into one of the stateside British car fan clubs would get you access to 'parts wanted' lists for people that would have those applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine#3.9.2F4.0

TVR or MG fan clubs would be a good place to start.

www.Britishv8.org is another good place.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)