From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help m

need help m

I have a 1972 skylark custom with no engine or trans.My father has a 67 olds delmont 88 with a 425 4 barrel carb.do you think the complete powertrain with all brackets would fit the skylark.

72 is the first year that Buick coded the engine in the VIN. this will probably go easier if your car was originally a Buick big block car.
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/72/72_vin.html

even so, i'm sure you'll need new engine mounts, frame pads and wiring harness. probably need to alter or replace your fan shroud as well. Olds starter is on the drivers side, distributor is at the back of the engine. both are opposite to either the Buick big or small blocks.

also, the trans is likely to be problematic. the Skylark is a mid size A-body ( 115" wheelbase ) while the 88 is definitely a full size B-body ( 123" wheelbase ) car. you've probably got a long tail TH-400 which would require a custom trans mount / cross member and a shorter drive shaft.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

my vin starts with 444 what does mean

My vin starts with 4443712 .the title says 72 but according to the vin decoder it was made in 71 is this correct the vin is the same in the dash and title

4 44 37 1 2
    4 = Buick
    44 = Skylark Custom
    37 = 2 dr midsize hardtop
    1 = invalid engine code
    2 = 1972
    ? = production plant code not supplied
    ?????? = serial number not supplied, production should have started with 100001

production for each "model year" starts around July-Sept of the preceding calendar year, that's true even today. so, yes, it's quite possible that your 72 has a 1971 build date.

you look to have a VERY early build though, as they didn't use the proper letter code for the model. instead they used the "44" code that indicated a Skylark Custom in 1971. there's definitely an error ( whether through improper stamping at the factory or your transcription ) in that VIN though. that should be a letter at the engine coding space not a numeral. and there was NO engine code for either "1", "I" or "l / lower case L", so there isn't even anything for you to have confused it with.

here's the official GM Vin cards if you'd like to see for yourself:
    http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vi.../vincard72.pdf
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Went out to the car.The number is 444371z1

72 skylar custom with 425 engine and 400trans

Hi guys just finished pulling out the engine and tras out of the 67 delmont .Tomorrow I will start to see where the motor is going to sit ,what motor mounts im going to need ,also what exhaust I will need. trans crossmember.Any ideas

The 2nd gen (64-up) Olds engines all have their block mounting holes in the same place, so use regular F-85/Cutlass frame brackets and rubber mounts. For the TH400 rear mount you can move the stock Skylark crossmember back and drill new holes in the frame rails if they aren't there already. Check the fit of the Olds U-joint in the Buick rear. If it fits (and I believe it should), have the Olds driveshaft shortened afer you get the engine and transmission bolted down.

The only hard part might be the exhaust because the 425 Olds is taller than the 330/350. If 350 parts won't fit, you will have to find real 442 stuff.

As already pointed out, you will have to make some changes in the wiring because of the location of the starter, alternator, distributor, oil and temp senders, etc.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 03-16-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Thanyou for the info,that really makes me happy.I know I should have gone with a buick engine but my dad gave this ,I dont have that much money to buy buick but I will save some and maybe I can trade it for a buick.thank everybody for helping me.This th400 has a two wire connector on it I know one is for the kickdown the other is for what .Do you guys know

The number is 444371z1

ah. that's a problem. not for the engine swap but for your identification of the car.

the VIN says that your car is a 1971 model year and does NOT code the original engine.

4 44 37 1 z 1
    4 = Buick
    44 = Skylark Custom
    37 = 2dr hardtop
    1 = 1971
    z = Fremont, CA
    1 = first digit of 6 digit sequential production number

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/71/71_vin.html
    Vladimir Lenin