- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: Lost oil pressure

Lost oil pressure

455 , total build has 15,000 on run, lost oil pressure:

kenne belle plate, oil in cover. took off oil cap repacked oil pump with vasoline as buick says to, have done this on all motors, never had issue.

This time would not prime, so did it again. still no prime/pressure. Car ran 60psi before at 70mph.

took off timing cover , note no loss of oil, or spillage out back of motor. Looking for galley plugs blown out. NO they are there and pined, in place. New oil pickup was from Posten buick before they went out of business. new 5/8 tube. This was a total build motor crank, rods, rings, pistons, heads, intake carb oil system drill out. 5000.00 in motor.

why NO oil pressure. Chev motors pic up falls out of oil pumps. but Buick screws theirs to the crank galley direct. Could this have fallen out?? ROMPY cam. ???

Have cover still off should I rent a scope, and go down the galley front and see inside??

HELP, never had bbb issues like this, I can do bbb assemble in my dreams.

It is possible for the pump pick up to fall off if the screws came loose or whatever. The pickup screen could be plugged, the gasket between the timing cover and the block could be damaged.

After that, you have to look at cam bearings.

There is an oil flow chart on page 60-52 here:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...files/60-b.pdf

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I hate to say this - but you'll probably have to pull the motor and remove the pan. It really sounds like you lost the pickup tube to either debris, cracking or damage. Did anything hit the oil pan recently? if so, the pan may be too close to the pickup...

good luck

hi

Before heavy work, check (if you replaced it...) the oil captor on the block , I had a problem with a brand new one, the oil light was on when idling...
    good luck

Lost oil pressure

Just a shot in the dark. Any chance the distributer shaft isn't driving the Pump?

I agree with sabrerattler. Pull the distributor, inspect the drive and try turning the oil pump from up there. Do all the easy things first.

Once the distributor is out, you can grind a couple of flats on a piece of rod and chuck it in an electric drill. Have a helper drive the oil pump with this while you check for pressure.

Ray