- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me piece this 3.9 Buick/Rover together

Help me piece this 3.9 Buick/Rover together

Hey guys, my name is Jay from Atlanta, GA USA. I'm trying to build this rover v8 to running condition as absolutely easily and with the least amount of money as possible. I don't mind spending money but I don't want to blow it trying to make a bunch of power that I don't need. Here are some pictures of the engine as it sits and if you can look at it and tell me what it needs that would be ideal. Granted you aren't going to be able to tell everything but just suggestions.

The goal is to have this engine running. Carb'd with the most simple wiring as possible. I have ditched the EFI stuff and I have a edlebrock intake on it (haven't bought a carb yet) and I have a set of hedman headers. What would you buy to get it going on a budget not trying make max power? Most simple and cheap ignition and charging setup etc . I just need an alternator and no accessories. No power goal in mind just running. Stock power plus whatever the 4bbl, intake and headers give me is plenty for now. BTW, this is a 94 or 95 Land Rover Discovery lump I believe and has 9.35 to 1 CR.

Thanks a ton guys!

Jay Gilling

I have two sets of valve covers and I don't know which ones I need since I'm not familiar with the PCV routing on these.

I am pondering what to do about the routing of the belt. I stripped the power steering and a/c off but I have to do something here. I may need new bracket or switch to the older style pullies to make a GM alternator work. The most simple way the better.

Building up a 3.9 Buick/Rover v8...

First, find someone who really knows about parts interchangeability between the Rover and GM-built engines.

If it will swap over, the complete front end setup from a Buick engine would probably be easiest. This could possibly be from a V-6 too. Then run a Delco SI "3 wire" alternator and a Delco points-type distributor with a Pertronix. As for the carb, I wouldn't want any more than 400 cfm on an engine that size for the street. Does the Rover engine have roller lifters or flat?

Ray

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...minum_v-8.html

Stock power plus whatever the 4bbl, intake and headers give me is plenty

why do you want a 4v carb? you can buy a 2v carb in a box up to 500cfm and LOTS of Holley 4412s are used in circle track so if you really think it necessary it would be easy to come up with one that's been race prepped. as rays says, a 400cfm carb should take you up to 5500 rpm.

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...cfm_calculator

and you can still use your 4v intake. buy a 1 inch thick 2v to 4v phenolic adapter plate, it's function doubles as a carb spacer. and with a 2v, you won't have any issues with crossover effects as the secondaries kick in. 2vs tend to be smoother to drive than 4v carbs.

if you pull the full set of pulleys and brackets, i'd expect anything from a 1961 215v8 to a 1987 3.8Lv6 with serp belts to work on your block. if you're cutting this down to just the alternator, you may want to go back to one of the older v-belt setups. i think they mount the alternator lower when they don't have to make room for the idler pulley on the passenger side.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...minum_v-8.html

Stock power plus whatever the 4bbl, intake and headers give me is plenty

why do you want a 4v carb? you can buy a 2v carb in a box up to 500cfm and LOTS of Holley 4412s are used in circle track so if you really think it necessary it would be easy to come up with one that's been race prepped. as rays says, a 400cfm carb should take you up to 5500 rpm.

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...cfm_calculator

and you can still use your 4v intake. buy a 1 inch thick 2v to 4v phenolic adapter plate, it's function doubles as a carb spacer. and with a 2v, you won't have any issues with crossover effects as the secondaries kick in. 2vs tend to be smoother to drive than 4v carbs.

if you pull the full set of pulleys and brackets, i'd expect anything from a 1961 215v8 to a 1987 3.8Lv6 with serp belts to work on your block. if you're cutting this down to just the alternator, you may want to go back to one of the older v-belt setups. i think they mount the alternator lower when they don't have to make room for the idler pulley on the passenger side.
    Thanks all for the good advice. I will say height will be an issue so I am going to try and keep the carb and air cleaner as low as possible. As far as a carb I was thinking a Holley 390. I wasn't set on 4 barrel but hadn't looked at many other 2 barrell options.

Something like this weber setup would be ideal if it would fit space wise but probably not be great money wise.
    Last edited by crankwalk; 02-29-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    First, find someone who really knows about parts interchangeability between the Rover and GM-built engines.

If it will swap over, the complete front end setup from a Buick engine would probably be easiest. This could possibly be from a V-6 too. Then run a Delco SI "3 wire" alternator and a Delco points-type distributor with a Pertronix. As for the carb, I wouldn't want any more than 400 cfm on an engine that size for the street. Does the Rover engine have roller lifters or flat?

Ray
    It has flat lifters. Thanks for the info on the ignition as well. Any idea on the valve covers and pcv?
    Last edited by crankwalk; 02-29-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crankwalk View Post
    Any idea on the valve covers and pcv?
    An engine that new would normally have a "closed" PCV system. Run a hose from one valve cover to the intake manifold with a PCV valve. Run a hose from the other valve cover to the air cleaner without a PCV valve. Use a non-vented oil filler cap.

Ray

An engine that new would normally have a "closed" PCV system. Run a hose from one valve cover to the intake manifold with a PCV valve. Run a hose from the other valve cover to the air cleaner without a PCV valve. Use a non-vented oil filler cap.

Ray
    Ray thanks for the info. I guess I am wondering if I have the right valve covers for this motor. The all black ones that I have on there just have a nipple behind the non vented oil filler that you might be able to see I have taped up. The other side is blank with no opening. I wanted to use these if possible. Could I just throw a breather filter on the small opening or would I have to tie the other valve cover in as well?

On the other valve covers I have with the polished ridges on top there are two large openings but I'm missing the pieces that go to it.

Again thanks all for answering some of these dumb questions. I typically am more familiar with 4 cyl and never deal with v8s especially one like this.

I guess I am wondering if I have the right valve covers for this motor. The all black ones that I have on there just have a nipple behind the non vented oil filler that you might be able to see I have taped up. The other side is blank with no opening. I wanted to use these if possible. Could I just throw a breather filter on the small opening or would I have to tie the other valve cover in as well?
    On the left side black cover, I can see the oil filler and the taped up nipple you described. The right side cover appears to have "something" on the rear ribbed section. If that's not a nipple, can you tell me what it is?

Ray

On the left side black cover, I can see the oil filler and the taped up nipple you described. The right side cover appears to have "something" on the rear ribbed section. If that's not a nipple, can you tell me what it is?

Ray

Hey Ray,

Sorry about that, I'll try to get some better pictures of this thing tonight. It's a nipple but its blank and it's closed off. It make me wonder if I have some sort of mix and match set.

I'll try to get some better pictures of this thing tonight. It's a nipple but its blank and it's closed off.
    Would you be willing to open up the nipple on the right side cover? If yes, you could use that side for the connection to the air cleaner, because there may not be an oil baffle under that nipple. In that case, connect the left side nipple to the intake manifold with a PCV valve. Whichever side goes to the intake will need to have a baffle installed if it doesn't already have one.

If you shoot more pictures, would you mind showing what the inside of the covers look like where the nipples are attached?.

Ray