- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1966 buick electra fuel gauge stuck on full

1966 buick electra fuel gauge stuck on full

hello teambuick and thanks in advance, so my electra fuel gauge is stuck on full ran through wiring from tank to harness, haven't got into the dashboard hoping i don't need to, pulled sending unit moved float and nothing put 10ohm load nothing, 70 ohm load nothing but when i ground it, it drops to empty any suggestions

Usually, if you can ground the gauge and it causes it to go from full to empty, and the wiring is all good, it indicates a bad sending unit.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by esetony View Post
    when i ground it, it drops to empty any suggestions
    Ground what? The sending unit, the wire, the dash unit? Usually, a stuck-on-full reading indicates an open on the sender side of the dash unit. The open can be in the connecting wire, the sending unit, or the sending unit ground. Don't replace the sending unit until you have checked the other two possibilities.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 02-18-2012 at 09:16 PM.

sorry when i ground the brown wire on that connects to the sending unit in other words i guess i would be shorting the sending unit right ? so would that be a sending unit issue ?

Cool MotorsbyRon

If you have an open in the line (wire) it will show Full

Repair Sender unit

Check out these guys:

http://tristarrradiator.com/

One terminal on the gauge should have 12v the other goes to the sending unit. The sending unit offers variable resistance to move the gauge needle across the gauge With nothing to the gauge, it should read full, when you ground the other terminal, it should fall to empty meaning the gauge is working. If you place an ohm meter across the sending unit, it should vary the resistance as you move the float up and down, if not it is not working.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by esetony View Post
    sorry when i ground the brown wire on that connects to the sending unit in other words i guess i would be shorting the sending unit right ? so would that be a sending unit issue ?
    If you are grounding the wire at the sending unit, this shows that the wire is good. The problem then is likely to be either in the sending unit or the sending unit GROUND. It is much cheaper to check the ground than to replace the sending unit.

Run a wire from one of the sending unit mounting screws to a known good ground. You can use a long wire and run it all the way to the battery (-) post if this is any easier. If the gauge still doesn't work normally, you can now start thinking about replacing the sending unit.

Ray

thanks team it was my sending unit

63 Riviera fuel gauge gremlins

63 Riviera. Fuel gauge working fine recently until "bang" - the needle disappears off scale. I can't tell if it is high or low as the needle is completely out of view. Also can't wire trace in the trunk area as PO thoughtfully painted all the wiring with body color. I can see where wiring goes to the reverse lights and the license plate light. Anyone know where the fuel sender comes into the loom back there? Also wondering if electric to the fuel gauge is part of the flex printed circuit on the back of the cluster or a hardwire plug in? Tough to get up under there because my flippin' electric seat just decided it is only going to go forward and makes clicking sounds for all other directions.
    When it rains it pours!