- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Dynaflow Slipping Issue?

Dynaflow Slipping Issue?

Hey Guys,
    I bought a 1955 Buick special 4 door, When I bought the car the guy told me that the car had a slipping issue. it's an automatic dynaflow transmission.

When we took it for a ride he showed me how when he puts it in D, the engine will rev up and the car doesn't move, he continued to show me that if he starts driving in Lo once the car starts driving he moved to D.

The car runs amazingly!

does anyone have any idea how hard is this to repair? or any place in philly area I can take my sweetheart to get repaired?

Just to make sure I am understanding you correctly, are you saying that the car will not move off from a standstill in D, but will start normally if you shift to Lo? If yes, after you start in Lo and shift to D is there any slippage if you hit the throttle hard? How slowly can you drive in D before the transmission starts slipping?

Ray

I wonder if it could be an adjustment problem with the shift linkage at the transmission.

Raycow,
    Sorry it took me so Long to answer.
    Ok here what happens. When I start the car turns over amazingly.
    When I shift into drive it slowly crawls forward no matter how much gas I give it.
    When I shift into low it drivers normally. Then I shift into drive and it drives smooth. What sucks is that when I come to a light or stop sign I have to repeat the process all over again.

Reverse work flawlessly.
    Fluid is good and full

Thanks

Steve
    Last edited by dasaint80; 02-20-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Ok, I just wanted to be sure that's what you were saying. From your description, I suspect some kind of failure in the converter, like maybe a bad sprag. This would be less noticeable starting off in in Lo than in Drive. Once you are moving fast enough to run on the 2nd turbine, Drive would probably work well enough that you might not notice it.

If the problem was the direct clutch, Drive wouldn't work at all, no matter how fast you were going.

The car will need to go to a shop that understands the Dynaflow, because no other transmission used this type of converter. Fatsco specializes in obsolete automatic transmission parts, including Dynaflow. You might want to phone them and ask what shops they sell Dynaflow parts to in Philly.
    http://www.fatsco.com/contact.htm

Good luck with this, and please let us know what you find out. You might be able to help some other member who has a Dynaflow problem.

Ray

I got the Transmission rebuilt by a Precision Transmission in NJ, Great guys Great work!!! car runs awesome now!!
    They said the clutches were wore to hell and the bands needed to be adjusted, I bought the master rebuild kit from fatsco, they put it in.