- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual Transmission conversion in a '66 Riviera

Cool Manual Transmission conversion in a '66 Riviera

Hello:

I am new to the forum here. I posted a similar request on the blog instead of the forum which I think may be the appropriate place. Pardon the redundancy.

I have a '66 Riviera GS. The body has been beautifully prepared and painted. I am now revitalizing the interior, switching from a very nice "standard" to a very nice "deluxe". Next up the suspension. Ultimately I would love to update the power in this beautiful beast.

Purpose of this post, feasibility of switching to a manual transmission. I know (now) that there was a big change in the steering column and brake pedal from '66 to '67. I am wondering if a clutch / brake pedal set-up from a big car of that pre '67 era can fit? A big Buick, Olds or Pontiac perhaps?

Thanks, Paul

Unlike the A-bodies, the full-size cars didn't share chassis engineering across divisions in the 60s. I found this out the hard way when I converted an Olds Starfire to manual transmission. In all likelihood, only parts from a Buick will work for you, and there weren't a whole lot of them made with manuals.

Would you consider going with hydraulic clutch linkage and using an aftermarket pedal assembly? The finished result won't look completely stock, but at least you will be able to get the car on the road without spending a huge amount of time hunting for parts.
    http://www.wilwood.com/Pedals/PedalList.aspx

Ray

I think you may be on your own on this. I havnt heard much about using standard shifts in you model of Buick. The thing is a 66 riv has a 'switch pitch' turbo hydramatic, one of the most desired automatic transmissions in the GM lineup, why change it?
    Last edited by 39CENT; 02-11-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 39CENT View Post
    The thing is a 66 riv has a 'switch pitch' turbo hydramatic, one of the most desired automatic transmissions in the GM lineup, why change it?
    Unfortunately, the world of automobile transmissions is sharply divided between those who prefer manuals and those who favor automatics, and it is difficult, if not impossible, for one camp to significantly sway the other. Think conservatives and liberals, or atheists and believers.

Speaking for myself, I can only say that if someone really wants a manual, even the "best" automatic, no matter how good, will never completely satisfy him/her, and I believe that those on the other side of the aisle feel exactly the same way.

Ray

You're probably aware already that the Rivieras never had a standard. I think you will be on your own. You would want a steering column from a floor shift automatic, or you could just patch over your column shift. After that, I don't expect it is worth a lot of time hunting for anything specific. Either go hydraulics or find a pedal set and fabricate. It will be a conversation piece to see a standard in a Riviera.

Like was suggested though, the original transmission was strong and high on the performance mark.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Nothing like a manual

Gentlemen:
    Thanks for the responses. It is true that there is nothing quite like a manual transmission.

I suppose a fabrication is possible. I'll check into the hydralic set-up too.

Maybe someone knowledgeable in this space can answer this. In doing some research ont he subject I came across a 1959 LeSabre. While it had an automatic the brake pedal was connected to not one but two rods, one on each side of the column.

Has anyone seen and compared the auto set-up to a manual? Does it have the same perch?

Thanks again and stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by 66GS425 View Post
    In doing some research ont he subject I came across a 1959 LeSabre. While it had an automatic the brake pedal was connected to not one but two rods, one on each side of the column.

Has anyone seen and compared the auto set-up to a manual? Does it have the same perch?
    I believe the wide pedal you are asking about was supplied only when an automatic was ordered with power brakes. As far as I know, manual brakes used the narrow pedal with either transmission.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 02-14-2012 at 12:37 AM.

I have seen at least one Nailhead Riv with what was described as a factory installed 4 speed. It had a BW T-10. The shifter came through the console and had a plate around it that sure looked factory. I can not find any pictures of it, but I know I saw them somewhere. I think a manual Wildcat or Electra from 64-66 would have the correct transmission, bell housing, flywheel, clutch and pedal setup. The linkage and driveshaft parts might be adaptable from those cars to the X frame under the Riv. I am very partial to the manual trans and always remember an interesting use in a Buick. The most fun vehicles always have a manual transmission. I have four!
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Hi Steve: If you come across those pictures please pass them along. A factory looking console plate is even more interesting. I understand if you knew the right people you could get a Corvette 427 dropped in a Coupe Deville back then. Any advice on where to locate LeSabre or Wildcats stick parts would also be most appreciative. Regards, Paul

Try Carmen Faso in upstate NY (716) 693-4090. He sold me the trans setup for my 66 GS Skylark way back when. He may have something for you, or he may be able to direct you to something. It is worth a shot.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)