- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming soon: a fantastic new head for the 263!

Although I know almost nothing about how to accomplish it, I would want to look into direct injection. If I was doing a ground-up new head design, I would have to at least look at it. Besides that, I would just stick with a stock design - the direct injection would give you a great-running engine.

-Bob C.

I know nothing of head design but would think pads for drilling and installation of injectors would be a good idea.

Is there a real performance improvement with a cross-flow design? That would seriously change the look of the engine I know but I was wondering if there is a clear advantage to cross-flow over a well designed common side port set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rande View Post
    I know nothing of head design but would think pads for drilling and installation of injectors would be a good idea.

Is there a real performance improvement with a cross-flow design? That would seriously change the look of the engine I know but I was wondering if there is a clear advantage to cross-flow over a well designed common side port set-up.
    In a common side port set-up, in order to have room to accommodate 16 ports and spacing for flange bolts, the ports need to be on two different planes one above the other.
    This allows one set of ports to have a 45 degree angle while the other set has a near 90 degree bend in it.

A cross-flow, especially if it is hemi or semi hemi in design, allows both sets of ports to have very little angle.
    The spark plug can be closer to the middle of the chamber by locating through the top of the valve cover.
    With the spark plug out of the way from the side of the head there is room to angle the intake port slightly to create swirl in the cylinder during the intake cycle.

Ultimately if you go Duesenberg style you can do a dual overhead cam head with 4 valves per cylinder.
    Add variable valve train actuation and with a full blown electronic engine management system.

If you want to take it one more step and don't mind paying royalties, do a PolyQuad valve design.

If you have "Buick Fireball" on the valve cover no one will be able to tell the difference.

Paul
    Last edited by pmuller9; 02-14-2012 at 11:13 PM.

One additional benefit to a crossflow design is the exhaust ports won't transfer heat into the intake ports

Thumbs up Insanely Passionate for the Buick Straight Eight

Quote Originally Posted by Untame View Post
    If we do this it will be profitable on the first one. In other words, our high end customers would be paying the development costs, so our conversion kit price would not need to recoup that. It will still be expensive, and I know there isn't a lot of demand for screaming Buicks. Our primary market is, and will remain, our build customers, but for those who are insanely passionate about their Buick Straight 8 we plan on making a conversion kit available.

Realistically, no matter what it won't be cheap.
    If spending over 6 thou on a 263 rebuild/blueprint, count me in as insanely interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Boise50 View Post
    If spending over 6 thou on a 263 rebuild/blueprint, count me in as insanely interested.
    One man's insanity is another man's brilliance.

If you want to take it one more step and don't mind paying royalties, do a PolyQuad valve design.

provided you don't care about getting the 'Polyquad' runner porting it would be quite easy to do the basic idea yourself.

also, given that one of the primary purposes of the Polyquad is to limit 'cross-flow' from the intake out the exhaust during the valve overlap period you might just want to go straight to the Endyn / Larry Widmer design. he was the first one to get onto the swirl concept in the first place.

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/The_Soft_Head_1999/

T2.jpg
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for that link! Fascinating -- I'll need to read it again to let some of the info sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post

provided you don't care about getting the 'Polyquad' runner porting it would be quite easy to do the basic idea yourself.

also, given that one of the primary purposes of the Polyquad is to limit 'cross-flow' from the intake out the exhaust during the valve overlap period you might just want to go straight to the Endyn / Larry Widmer design. he was the first one to get onto the swirl concept in the first place.

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/The_Soft_Head_1999/

T2.jpg

check out the magazine articles at the bottom of the page.

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/

it's interesting to read them in chronological order and realize that Larry was actually quite wrong about what was occurring in the combustion chamber early on. he originally thought that he was creating a homogenous A/F mix. he was actually creating stratified charge through the centrifuge effect ( ie - some of his critics were more correct than he was, it's just that nobody expected that 20:1 A/F would burn if the flame front was started in a richer portion of the charge ). i think ( although he doesn't say this ) that one of the reasons his hypothetical 'optimum' chamber has plugs at each end of the trench is because he expects the charge to be richer at the edges of the bore and leaner in the center.

i don't think Larry ever made any comment about his chamber design limiting "crossflow" but i doubt VERY much that that little tidbit slipped by him.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I've been reading through a lot of the archives. I have already gleaned some information that will greatly help in our combustion chamber / piston design. I'm still a little unsure on some details, and I wonder if they are coy with releasing too much information that may be proprietary. In particular, what is the maximum DCR that you can run on premium pump gas? I've been looking through the articles without a definite answer. The only thing I've read is that you can run statics up and over 20:1, but even he states emphatically that static doesn't matter in a dynamic environment.

I've also been reading Design and Simulation of Four Stroke Engines by Gordon Blair. Makes me wish I had taken more math classes.