- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: Starting a 1956 Century

Starting a 1956 Century

Hi Guys,

My first post. Back in late August I purchased a 1956 Century Wagon from a dealer in Florida. It's taken a long, long time, but finally today I collected it from the docks and it has arrived in my garage.

Whan I got to the docks, I couldn't work out how to get it to start. The key appears to have three positions, LOCK - START - OFF but none of these positions would crank the engine.

After trying everything and also looking everywhere, the only thing I could find was an electrical fuel pump with an isolation switch fitted to it.

After winching it onto a trailer and getting it home into the garage, I have managed to jump start it by taking the black wire which goes to a relay near to the starter solenoid and taking this black wire directly to the large power cable that goes to the starter. With ignition turned to the ON position the car then cranks, then release the wire contact and it stays running.

The question that I have is what is the correct way to start this car. Is there supposed to be a start button somewhere so you turn the key to ON and then push a button to initiate the starter motor.

Sorry to start out with a question, but I want to fix the car but do it as properly as I can and keep the car as original as I can as it's probably the only 56 wagon in Australia.

Also, the chrom neck that the rear view mirror is mounted on has a broken section at the base where it is supposed to clamp and secure the mirror. How is this part attached to the car and does anyone do a replacement for this?

Thanks and I'm sure that you will be hearing a lot from me with this fantastic old car now living down under.

Starting a '56

As I recall, and its been a while - you turn the key to the 'start' position, and step on the gas pedal to engage the starter ??
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivman View Post
    As I recall, and its been a while - you turn the key to the 'start' position, and step on the gas pedal to engage the starter ??
    Unfortunately, that didn't work.

Fresh battery, ignition to on, can hear fuel pump running (electric), engaged N on shifter, foot on gas pedal for a reasonable time, nothing!

Any other ideas?

I have 38 buick, the starter switch is on the carburetor. when I got the car it did not work and someone put a button under the dash, I fixed that problem, now it works like it should but I got the button there for backup. On your car is there a switch on the carb with two wires going to it, make contact with those wires,if it starts then the switch is bad and there should be a button some where on or under the dash. Car looks nice.
    Last edited by Spud; 01-23-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Century Starting

Quote Originally Posted by uzz32soarer View Post
    Unfortunately, that didn't work.

Fresh battery, ignition to on, can hear fuel pump running (electric), engaged N on shifter, foot on gas pedal for a reasonable time, nothing!

Any other ideas?
    I assume you also tried the 'Park' position ?
    Unfortunately, thats about it for me Rob, hopefully someone here may have other ideas.
    I neglected to welcome you, and compliment you on your fine choice of Buicks.
    Beautiful wagon, and welcome - hope you get it all sorted out !!
    Last edited by Rivman; 01-23-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivman View Post

Yes, that is the correct way to start it. The push-to-start feature was on Buicks up through 1960 (you need to push the pedal all the way to the floor to engage the starter). There is a vacuum starter switch on the carb. I like to think of it as a factory security system. The "Off" position allows you to remove the key but still turn the ignition to "Start" and start the car, like a valet key.
    Last edited by Buford26; 01-24-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43

Pretty old post, so I don't know if you still need help. You might need to chase some electrical.

I'd make sure your Neutral safety switch is working correctly, and you have a completed and closed ciruit.

The car should only crank in "P" or "N".

1. on the lower steering column you will see various connections to the column. You are interested in the two on the left (facing the front of the vehicle).

2.With the key "ON" you should have power at both of these leads.

3. You should have power on BOTH posts on the firewall (ignition module).

4. You should have power at your + coil post.

5. You should have power on both connections at your starter switch (corner of carburetor) There's a ball and spring in here that rotates on your throttle shaft. It's controled by vaccum.

6. If you don't have power all the way through the system, the starter will fail to engage with the foot switch (gas pedal).

if you can jump it - tells me the rest is working.

Good Luck

Derek