Thread: Steering Column

Steering Column

I have a 1956 Buick Century - Does anyone know where I oculd obtain a "Blow-up diagram" of the Steering Column?

Steering

HI
    I am not sure if I can help. I have the Steering section for the 56 Buick from the manual. I also have the seperate manual on repairing the steering.
    Is it Manual or Power steering?
    Email me for more info.
    Gishmonster

56 Buick 63R
    57 Chevy 2DrHt

Steering Column

Thank you so much for your information. My car (1956 Century) is power steering, but my main concern is a problem with the horn, and I am just trying to understand the wireing with-in the steering column.
    Thanks again.....SC-I

Wireing

Hi
    I will try to attach 2 jpg pictures of the wireing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gishmonster

56 Buick 63R
    57 Chevy 2DrHt

Steering Column

Hi, Thanks again for your help. The problem I am having is somewhere from the point where the wire from the horn connects to the steering column, to the horn ring itself, which is why I was interested in what the inside of the Steering Column looks like. I have been able to find some very detailed blow ups for Buick Steering Columns, but only as far back as 1965. I really do appreciate your efforts on my behalf.

Horn

According to the diagram that would be a tan wire at the bottom of the steering post. I have never taken one apart but I would assume that the problem would be at the wear point where the wire goes into the steering columb or a broken part in the steering wheel assymbly.
    Do you have the cover off on the steering wheel?

Kerry
    Gishmonster

56 Buick 63R
    57 Chevy 2DrHt

Horn

Kerry,
    I do have the Steering Wheel apart and have checked everything according to the manual, and I am almost certain the problem is in the column, and I believe it is at the bottom connection, I just need to understand how that connection works. I have put my finger in the hole in the column and can feel some moving parts, which do move when the horn ring is pushed, and there is a small button on the plate which connects to the column which rubs on something? I am sure that somewhere there is a diagram, I will just keep looking. Thank you so very much.
    Sheldon

Post Similar problem...

Hi SC-I,
    could you solve the problem with the horn? And how?
    Because we have a similar problem.
    We bought a Buick Roadmaster 1955 this year and the horn does not work.
    We found out, that the horn is ok, the horn relay is ok, but at the bottom of the steering column there is the horn cable without connection to the horn button in the steering wheel. We do not know who the last owner was, so we can not ask him.
    The horn works when we hold the horn cable from the bottom of the steering column to a conducting (?) part of the car. So we only have the problem making a connection from the horn cable to the horn button.
    At the bottom of the steering column there is a hole. Maybe there is a part missing???? In the shop manual I can find some information, e.g. the pictures gishmonster sent you, but no exact description how the cable from the bottom of the steering column is connected to the horn button. Are the connectors in between? What's the name of the connector so that I can surch in a online shop to buy one?

I can imagine that the wire is connected to a connector that should be in the hole and this connector in the hole at the bottom of the steering column has a wire in the steering column up to the horn button??? Am I right?? Hard to describe for me as a german...

We also thought about putting the horn cable to a separate button but then the car would not be original anymore...

We would be very happy to get some help from you because we wanted to bring the car to the inspector to the the certificate so that we can drive the car - waiting for that for months now...

Maybe you can sent me a photo?

Regards
    Silvia and Norbert and their Buicks

At the bottom of the steering column where the compression connector is there is an insulated sleeve on the inner shaft which has a brass outer shell which runs on the compression fitting to the horn. This sleeve over time works loose and slides where it likes. The wire from the horn button is soldered to the lower brass section of this sleeve. Unfortunately the only way to fix is to remove the steering column completely and glue the sleeve to the inner shaft with a good epoxy glue. You can also replace the wire while you are at it. I have done it for several cars but it is a major fix.