- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Is this a Dynaflow issue?

Is this a Dynaflow issue?

Sometimes when gaining speed, the engine briefly stops responding to gas pedal. Car starts coasting. Two seconds later car responds to pedal again. Motor is NOT stalling. I have the Variable pitch dynaflow on a '58 Special. 2 turbines. Wondering if it's a very slow transmission shift to 2nd gear? Transmission slipping? Transmission fluid level is fine. Dirty automatic trans filter, faulty converter pump? Vacum leak in the fuel vacum system? May be hesitation/faulty accelerator pump in carb?
    Dave Harris

1958 Buick Special
    1964 Pontiac GTO
    2008 Ford Shelby GT500

Does not sound like a transmission problem to me. Sounds like a fuel problem. You could change all your fuel filters. You might figure out a way to "Tee" into your fuel line between fuel pump and carb. and monitor your fuel pressure when the event occurs. I doubt if it is the accelerator pump from the description of the problem. I wonder if you are just running out of fuel when the engine is under load.

I did put in a new fuel filter in front of the 2 barrel carb. Still have same problem. What do you suggest is causing the car to run out of fuel when motor is under load? You referring to the fuel line pressure and a problem there?
    Dave Harris

1958 Buick Special
    1964 Pontiac GTO
    2008 Ford Shelby GT500

Yes, I was thinking maybe it is running out of fuel, during acceleration when you first push down the throttle the accelerator pump give an extra "squirt" of fuel into the carb. which helps the engine rev up, then the engine starts demanding more fuel during the acceleration event. I am thinking maybe your fuel pump can not keep up with the demand. That is where a pressure gauge could help you. But I caution you, be careful a hot engine and gas spraying around is a formulae for disaster.