-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: buick code readers

Question buick code readers

I want to buy a code reader from online shop.
    But it is not easy to find a code reader only work for buick.
    Most of them are work for many kinds obd2 cars.
    If there is still no answers,I will choose a general car code reader like this,but in fact I still not sure if it can used for buick.

Buick uses the same code readers as all. That is for a car running an OBD 1 system which Buick and others run.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Buick Code Reader

In regard to a code reader for your Buick.
    I sell vehical diagnostic equipment for a living: Bosch, Launch, OTC,...
    First you need to decide if it is a code reader you need or a scan tool. Code readers are cheap ($20.00) to semi-expensive ($500.00). Basic code readers will give you the code that is indicated on your car, but unless you know wiring, electrical theory AND a complete understanding of the diagnostic system on your specific car you are wasting your time.
    A scan tool will run from $850.00 to $10,000.00 depending on what you want to do and whether you need to do reprograming.
    1995 and earlier diagnostics are called OBD I and are brand specific (Ford, GM, Chrysler). In 1996 the feds mandated a generic automotive data link (ADL) and it was designated OBD II. An OBD II tool will not work on a '95 and earlier vehical.
    Further more, all vehicals since 2008 (and actually most since about 2006) are CAN - Controller Area Network. If you need to do anything regarding the changing of electronic motors, sensors, computers you will have to have a "factory diagnostic tool" or a OEM level tool because removing/replacing anything will usually require having the component sinc'd to the vehical.
    Back to a code reader. What is wrong if the code you read says "EGR low flow"? That could be any of a dozen or more things. What if the code indicated that the problem is, say, an O2 sensor. The code reader cannot tell you if it is actually the sensor, the wiring connector, a bad wire between the sensor and the ECM, or a bad ECM. To began to know that you have to have a scan tool, probably about $2000.00. And you STILL have to know what you are doing.
    Hit me back here or call me and I will be glad to try to give you more info or save you a lot of frustration. Dan Shea - 940-293-3262 Good Luck!