Thread: Looking at buying a 77 Buick Electra 255 Limited with a 403

Looking at buying a 77 Buick Electra 255 Limited with a 403

As the title says, I'm looking at buying an older Buick for a DD. Going from an old Military K5 Blazer it should be a bit more comfortable and such. Its a white coup, 1977 Electra 255 Limited, with the 403 motor. The guy is asking 1200, and claims power locks windows, ac, work, and it runs well.

Is there anything in particular I need to check on these cars?

I'm not expecting much but what kind of fuel economy can I expect?

I know this is a huge car and not by any means a racer, but I've always been into modding my rides, and I was wondering what can be done to engine and exhaust to slightly improve performance and maybe free up a few MPG. I'm guessing these things were smogged to death and luckly SC doesn't do emissions testing or any kind of inspection actually. I'm sort of a broke college student so I can't drop tons of money either. Stock won't bother me, I just like an excuse to mess around with my vehicles.

I have to sell my CUCV M1009 military K5 first, so if you know of anyone wanting a tough diesel hunting truck/offroading toy in the SC/NC/GA area tell them to check craigslist, NC 4x4, or just contact me here.

Thanks,
    Winslow

the 403ci is an Oldsmobile design. you should probably look up something like 442.com ( especially their FAQ ) or realoldspower.com

the 403 has a fricking HUGE bore, bigger than a Buick 455 and is probably the largest cube 'small block' ever available from the factory as OEM. if not for the windowed mains weakening the block it should have made a hell of a high rpm screamer. you have many head swaps available for it. you should also google builds, i believe it was Hot Rod mag that did a 403 some years ago.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)