Thread: 1972 riviera brake upgrades

1972 riviera brake upgrades

What is available as far as upgraded brakes for the 72 riviera's. I am most likely going to stay with the rear drums, but is there a better then stock replacement for them? Who makes performance rotors / calipers / pads / drums / shoes for these cars?

Rear Drums

If they are aluminum with steel inserts, but beyond specs., they can be rebuilt.
    Someone advertises this service in the ROA bimonthly publication the Riv iew.
    Original drum brakes on a Buick Riviera are substantial !!
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

They are not aluminum. OPG has steel replacements for the drums as well, so stock replacements shouldn't be too tough to find. I am mostly looking for leads on some upgraded shoes, and front parts.

Thanks for the info.

Starting in '71 weren't they ALL equipped with front discs & rear drums???? You can get front aluminum drums & front brake shoes & install them on the rear. You will go from 2"x12" to 2 1/4"x12". As far as front goes you will have to take measurements of YOUR rotors & see what's available as far as drill & slotted goes. As far as pads you can upgrade to Ceramix or any other type of upgraded D52 type pads. Calipers can be upgraded to the Alumax from PST. Again, measurements are nec. to male sure ALL is compatible with the wheels your using.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

yes I believe they were all front disc and rear drum. I never thought of using front drum and shoes for the back. I will look into that for sure.

What year front drums would I be looking for? the 69 / 70 years? Would there be a noticeable difference with the 2 1/4" drums and shoes over the 2"

The wheels are currently undecided, right now I am just working with a frame. I know they will most likely be 18" - 20" depending on what looks best when the body is back on the car, so going to a fairly large rotor shouldn't be an issue.

I wish I would have posted this a day sooner, I just ordered a complete front end kit as well as center link and rear bushings from PST. The catalogue I had from them didnt list any brakes for the boattail so I didnt ask about them..... guess I should have. Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to make another call.

Thanks