263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: rebuild a 148 questions

rebuild a 248 questions

Hey guy's

finally oure 248 streight8 is checked by my rebuilder.
    They checked if there were no holes and cracks so i can safely let it rebuild.

So what can i do to gain a little more hp and torque.

Read about the chevy valves on the 320 cid engines, what can i use and from what car or how can i gain more hp without making it a strip car.

most off the engine wil be new and rebuild, new pistons, bearings etc.

So should i take pistons in 0.30, 0,40? can i also order it from ebay?

And can i change the valves guides so i can use unleaded?

Tomorow i go to visit the enginebuilder and talk about the bore size's and what should be renewed.

Thanks,

Derek
    Last edited by D Appeldorn; 10-30-2011 at 04:35 AM.

I visited my enginebuilder today to talk about my 39' 40ies 248 engine.

gonna take .030 oversized pistons, 0,020 connecting rod bearings and 0.020 main bearings.

I want to line bore my mains, semi finisched bearings are they the same as sold on ebay or cars?

also what kind of bearings is used on the conectingrods? Are those maulded? or insert bearings?

I also need for my 39/ 40ies 248 new conectingrods, i did read that i can use 1949 with insert bearings.

Also want to know about cams, my engine shop can not grind a cam to a specific degree i want. like the 3/4 cam.

where can i vind those parts i need, and are the part sellers on ebay thrusted? i saw a nice one from old part source "deluxe engine overhaul kit"

I hope to vind those parts so i can letting my engine overhauled.

Thanks

no one?

pleace i do need help to sort out what i need en where to buy.

it is about a 248 cid from 39' in a 40ies special.

do i need to change my conectionrods to get insert bearings ? and what years can i use to get insert bearings.

And do the suplier off those ebay overhaul kits suply insert or babit bearings.
    Last edited by D Appeldorn; 10-30-2011 at 04:52 AM.

I have bought from several ebay engine kit suppliers. I have been happy with them all. MadDog, falconglobal, old.parts and others are good. Use the seach box at the top of the page, and when you find what you want look at how many items the seller has sold. Over 500 and he's probably good with a positive of 97 up.

The easiest way to find some more power is to take a chunk off the head or/and the deck.
    according to old articles you can go to .125" without problems. Myself, for street use, I would probably stop at .100" . If your machinist has a thickness tester that would be good

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

thanks for your reply,

so oldspart is thrusted with selling parts.

gonna take something from the dek, don't know how much yet.
    That is something i must stil find out and i can find it somehere on the forum.

But how about the conecting rods, is mine a babit style? 39/ 40ies?
    And where can i vind new ones with insert bearings.

Derek

Babbit connecting rods

Buick used babbit rod bearings until mid 1949 in the 248. From then thru 1950 the 248 had insert type rods bearings. My '39 has a set of 1950 rods in it. So, insert type rods were only used for a short time in the 248, as the new 263 was used in 1950 Super and all the small engines after that.
    I have seen advertisements for machine shops that will take your old babbit rods and machine then to accept inserts. I have no idea how expensive this is. I think I saw the ad in a Hemmings book.
    This info I gathered over the past few years, and I hope is correct. Any members please correct me if I am wrong.
    Gary

does anyone want to sell a set of those 50ies rods i can use in my 39 engine?
    problem is i live in the netherlands, and vinding those rods is not easy.

and how does the rodbearings work from cars?
    they sell them as 1936-1950, are they gleued in?

And old part source sells them in oversize?
    reason i asked, the enginebuilder did prev the insert type rods.

Thanks.