Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum lines

Vacuum lines

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie and hope you can help with my 63 Rivi. Finnally got this car on the road, now to the finer things, like heat and air. Does anyone know how all these vacuum lines that operate the A/C and heat connect under the hood. Have tried hit and miss combinations with no success. Any suggestions will really be appreciated. Thanks..Dave

This is probably what you want
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob; 10-08-2011 at 07:44 AM.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Vacuum lines

Bob, thank you very much. I think that is exactly what I've been looking for, in fact I'm so excited I'm going under the hood right now. Dave

Dave-
    You should get a factory shop manual if you do not have one already. The Buick Dealer Service Bulletins are also a bit of extra help.

Jim

Vacuum lines

First, thanks again, Bob, for the diagram. It helped a lot, now I don't feel so bad, couldn't figure those vacuum lines because there's a switch missing. And Jim your right, a shop manual would have probably eliminated that oversight, any thoughts as to where I might get one for a 63 Riviera? Anyway, the hunt is now on for a vacuum switch.

There are many Buick parts dealers for these old cars. All of them have paper reproductions of the shop manuals. There is also a Body Manual. Or you can look for an original one on eBay. I have also seen them scanned and on CD. I don't know what the scan quality is on them.

I sell a CD with scans of all the 1963 Buick Dealer Service Bulletins for $10 plus postage ($5 in the USA). I don't have the shop manuals.

HTH.

Jim
    '63 Technical Advisor - Riviera Owners Assoc. ( http://www.rivowners.org/ )

PS - when you start hooking it all back up, mark any replacement vacuum hose that you put in with the same color tracer that the original hose had. Without that, you have a jumble of black hoses that all look the same. I use paint pens that you buy at a craft store to mark mine.

You can use the ebay search at the top of the page, there are manuals there.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Vintage muscle car manuals can be had on CD from "Detroit Iron".
    I have the newest one for the 64 Buicks (for my Wildcat and LeSabre)
    and the one for 67 Chevys (for my 67 Impala).
    they are probably around $30 by now, but worth every penny. I just call
    up the section dealing with what I'm doing, print it out and take it to the
    garage. They cover everything that is in the original manual + they give
    you all sorts of stuff (music etc) from that year

Vacuum lines

Well, I took your advise and ordered a shop manual for this car, hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully it will provide a more accurate description of this switch to broadcast over the intrnet. Have heard from Ca. and Tx. with negative results. Someone did,however, offer a detailed description of how to clean one of these switches that has been sitting around for the past thirty or forty years, good info to have if you had one to clean. This is turning out to be one elusive little critter. Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions and help and if you happen to just stumble across one of these switches.....meanwhile, we'll roll down the windows(it's getting to be that time of year), turn up the radio, and enjoy driving this '63 Rivi.

Dave

is the switch you're talking about the top of the page #2 that Bob sent you?
    I think I have that somewhere