263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1950 Buick Bullet Fuse Block Connector

1950 Buick Bullet Fuse Block Connector

Can anyone tell me where to get these or something compatible? I am rewiring from the fuse block to the front of the engine.

thanks,
    sk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bullet Fuse Block Connector

SK:

Have you tried Rhode Island Wiring Service (www.riwire.com) or Restoration Supply (www.restorationstuff.com)?

Pat

Exclamation Fuse Block connector?

Did you have any luck finding these connectors or a good alternative? I am probably going to hgave to rewire much of my car as well, have already started under the hood!

I just ended up using the original bullets and crimped on new wires .I rewired the entire car one wire at a time.

Unhappy Fuse Panel Connectors

I am probably going to do the same, the wires are just falling apart. I found a fuse panel on Ebay that still had the connectors so I bought it just to be on the safe side. Before I pull any wire out of the panel I want to make sure I can duplicate the connection.
    I replaced some of the simple wires under the hood that were really bad first, now I just started attacking the dome light circut. I thought I found the problem, I thought the little switch on the center post was the issue.......not the problem, the fuse popped almost immediaetly so I guess rewireing is the answer.

If you can give any tips let me know.

Installing the wrong bulb is the most common cause of blowing the dome light fuse. Remove the bulb from the socket and make sure the base has two contacts, not one. If you are still running on 6 volts, use a #88 or #210 bulb. 12 volt equivalents are #94 and #1004.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 01-24-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Question Blown Fuse

Wow, thank you so very much. I am really impressed with your reply, something so simple apparently has been very destuctive. Yes I had the wrong bulb in the dome light, it was already there when I bought the car. I suppose thats why the previous owner was having the same problem and just removed the fuse.
    I was not as fortunate as the previous owner though. Now the car will not turn over at all! looking at the wireing diagram I tried to locate a fuseable link but could not find one. This dome light has caused more problems than I could have ever anticipated.

Do you have a clue as to where I should start looking? Thanks for your reply. Im very greatful.

1950 Super

Make sure that all your instrument gauges are connected. I disconnected a few to clean and got nothing when I went to start it. Then I realized that the hot wire goes to the oil pressure gas gauge instrument and then to the ON/OFF Key. If you disconnect it, you'll get no power from the battery to the key.
    You can always connect your battery and use a screw driver to cross over the two terminals to make sure its not the starter. If it turns over then its not the starter or battery but the wires going or coming from the Key/start button or carb starter(Whichever you have). A good tester is very useful to see if you're getting power to the key/starting mechanism. Let me know any questions you have. I've pretty much done everything on your car this last year and a half.
    Last edited by rsvp4sean; 01-25-2012 at 09:15 AM.

car wont turn over

Well like I previously mentioned, the previous owner put the wrong bulb in the dome light housing and when I tried to put in a new fuse I apparently melted the connection in the Amp meter. I tested the power going to the meter from the starter and I did have power to one side of the rear of the meter but NOT the other. That is the side that goues to the light switch that then supplies power to the ignition. Ther is no way I can get the amp meter out without destroying the wireing (extremly brittle and falls apart if you try to move) so I ran a new 10 guage line with a fuseable link today, tomorrow I will connect it to the #1 terminal on the light switch and that should resolve my problem.
    Just touching some of the wires becomes a NIGHTMARE!
    I started repairing and replaceing a few wires but as soon as the warm weather comes back I will start rewireing the entire car one wire at a time.

Thanks

1950 Super, is your electrical system stock, or have you or a previous owner made any changes to it? Changes could include converting from 6 to 12 volts, replacing the generator with an alternator, adding audio equipment, extra lighting, or other electrical accessories, etc.

Ray