- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Straight 8 and turbo transmission?

Straight 8 and turbo transmission?

Has anyone on here did the dynaflow to th-350/400 trans conversion?

If so were there performance improvements over the dynaflow? I'm speaking mainly between the years of 48-53.

You may want to check out this site, part of a long series on redoing a '51 Super. The author installed a 350 using Bendtsen adapter. Note, incrresed pickup is a given if you replace an early dynaflow with a modern automatic. Good luck. (I'm replacing a Dynaflow with an original equipment 3 speed standard shift, more to avoid the tendancy to leak than in hopes of enhanced performance. http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=235&SID=6

Yes, I've already bookmarked that article a long time ago. My car isn't running right now but it will in time. However I am gonna tackle this project sooner or later.

Hmmm.. I found this link on you tube. This place seems to do very good work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Mok...&feature=feedf

Quote Originally Posted by rapidride2 View Post
    Hmmm.. I found this link on you tube. This place seems to do very good work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Mok...&feature=feedf
    Okay ARE YOU ALL SITTING DOWN? Just out of curiosity i called this place to see how much this job cost,,,,They said the work was $21,000 out the door! FOOLISH, FOOLISH, FOOLISH. The total 4-link 9''rear end, trans, adapter and all other parts couldn't have cost more than 5-6k so this tells me that their labor charge was $16,000!!! LABOR is through the roof these days!

I have started a project similar to yours and I can say from experience that changing to a modern rear differential requires installation of multiple new mounts for four bars, sway bars, panhard bar, shock absorbers, brake lines, emergency brake cables and more things that I forgot. All of this has to be engineered as there are no kits available for Buicks. If it is done right it will take time. Good time to go to the community college and take a night course on welding.

A little off topic, but you may found this topic on The Hamb interesting. Especially the rear end swap .

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=588761

Quote Originally Posted by rapidride2 View Post
    Okay ARE YOU ALL SITTING DOWN? Just out of curiosity i called this place to see how much this job cost,,,,They said the work was $21,000 out the door! FOOLISH, FOOLISH, FOOLISH. The total 4-link 9''rear end, trans, adapter and all other parts couldn't have cost more than 5-6k so this tells me that their labor charge was $16,000!!! LABOR is through the roof these days!
    If you are building the car to drive rather than show, there is no need to shell out for a 4-link. For a driver, the easiest and cheapest open drive conversion is the trailing arm suspension that came under 60-72 Chevy 1/2 ton trucks. You don't have to keep the truck rear axle if you don't want to. Just cut the mounting brackets off the truck axle housing and weld them onto the rear of your choice.

This design is so well-liked that aftermarket vendors reproduce the parts for rodders. However, there is still a good supply of these trucks in salvage yards (as well as on the street), and replacement bushings are available through normal parts stores. If you go with salvage yard parts, be sure to also get the crossmember that the arms attach to and save yourself some fab work that way.

Ray