Thread: 67 Buick GS 400...I messed up on my semi rebuild and I need help........

67 Buick GS 400...I messed up on my semi rebuild and I need help........

I am replacing all seals and gaskets in my GS 400 and being new to anything to do with motors, I did not keep my rod caps in sequence when I removed them (stupid I know) to take the crank out to replace the rear main seal.

So I spoke to 2 differnt people and got 2 different answers on the placement of the caps.

One said to have the "tangs" in alinement and the other said they need to be opposite, whatever that means. I know Buick motors are a bit different than Chevy (distributer in front) but can you help me with the bearings? DO the tangs line up? Seems to me they should but I have no clue?

I am new to this type of motor work but am trying to learn. Please can anyone help me?

67 Buick GS 400

According to the chassis manual: "The rib on edge of cap and the conical boss on web of rod must be toward rear of engine on all rods in left bank or toward front of engine in right bank."

I appreciate the response but I have no idea what you are saying.

If I look at the bearings, do the tangs on the rods line up as they are a bit offset.

If you look at the rod caps and the rods you should see what the manual is talking about. I don't have an engine that is currently apart, so that is all that I can tell you. If you don't understand that statement, take it to an auto repair shop that does engines along with one of your rods and caps and he can show you how it should be. Is there no number stamped on the machined bosses of the caps and rods? If there is then the numbers are lined up and go to the outside in their respective cylinders.

Nope, no number stamps. Thanks for the response.

Nope, no number stamps. Thanks for the response.

The "Tangs" are offset on the same side & what jvan01 stated. Now the HARD part. Getting the proper caps lined up with the proper rods & to the same rod journals on the crank they came from. Look for "Witness" marks to try & figure this out. OR, you could bring them all to the machine shop & have them match-up/rebuild the rods.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Okay I get it

I just may have to take the motor to a machine shop because if I screw this up then I have wasted all this time for nothing. This is the first time I have done anything internal to the motor so I took notes and pictures. The one thing I forgot was to keep the rod caps in sequence.

I will take a shot at witnessing the bearings.

Thanks for your help.

I think I get it.

Machine shop here I come.