Thread: 68 GS400 A/T Floor Console

68 GS400 A/T Floor Console

Not sure which forum this should go in, but will start here and see what response(s) I get.
    I am installing a floor console and A/T shifter and need to know the following:

Where does the back up light switch mount and how is it wired?
    Where does the safety switch mount and how is it wired?
    Is there supposed to be a catch of some kind on the console door? Picture?
    What kind of light(s) go in the shifter to indicate what gear you are in?

Is any of this available?

Thanks,
    Jim V.

Hi Jim, I just saw your post a few days ago, and took some pictures of the shifter in my 1969 this morning. The back up and P/N switch are integrated into one part, and is avaliable from opgi.com and more than likely many parts suppliers. The switch fastens under the horseshoe on the passenger side (see pics). The red arrows point to the two screws that hold the switch in place.

Shifter PN mounting 2.jpg

Shifter PN mounting 3.jpg

HTH Eric

Eric,

Thanks ever so much for the pictures. My shifter should arrive tomorrow (Monday).
    Could you also tell me the location of the shifter in regards to something that I can
    measure from and also the location of the console bracket that mounts to the floor
    tunnel at the back of the console. One last location would be the hole that goes through
    the tunnel for the shifter cable.

I really appreciate the information.

Thanks again,
    Jim V.

Hi Jim, here are a few more pics. The shifter looks like it fits the contour of the floor pan pretty good, so it should be easy to locate it correctly.

There are 3 mounting locations for the console, rear, center, and front. The rear one mounts with two screws through the inside of the glove box, to a raised piece of steel that is attached to the floor pan. The middle one used two scews right to the shifter assy. under the plate that has the PRNDL indicator. Now the front one uses a single screw and there is a raised steel plate attached to the tunnel similar to the rear plate. Although, in mine, there is no hole to accecpt a sheet metal screw. It has been a few years since I took this appart, and the method af attachment has escaped me. Maybe someone else will come along and jog my memory.

As for the pass-through hole for the shift cable, I would mount the shifter, find 90 deg. from the cable attachment point to the floor, and mark that as the center of the hole. The diameter of the hole is 1.5", remember, it has to be quite a bit larger than the diam. of the cable because it doesn't pass through at 90 deg.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Eric
    11-29-07 (2).jpg

Console 001.jpg
    Console 003.jpg
    Console 004.jpg
    Console 005.jpg

Eric,

Thanks for all the pictures and information. I will be able to determine
    the location of everything from what you sent.

I see that you have a little ways to go on yours. Hang in there and it
    will be done before you know it.

Send me your email address and I can send you pictures of my car.
    My address is jvanho01@comcast.net

Thanks again,
    Jim V.

Good morning Jim, my e-mail is ericngail@msn.com.

If you click on my user name above, then choose view profile, you will be in my profile. In there find the "my vehicles" tab. I have some pics of my car in there. The pic next to the garage is what it looked like when I took it off the trailer, and the two with new paint were taken the same day and is it's condition now.

Have a great day, Eric