- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: 340 cam will another cam fit

340 cam will another cam fit

G'Day boy's this will be easy for some and a no go for others. I have a 340 4bbl in a skylark that i think has a cracked rocker tower giving the impression that a lifter is sticky or a damaged cam lobe. Before i pull it down i need to know if there is another cam that will fit in this engine that will give me the same as standard cam. I can NOT get a cam out here or from northern auto parts over there. I can get one ground but would like a direct replacement. Or would some one have a set of rocker towers they would like to get rid of cheap of course. I just need the towers x6 not the whole assembly. Cheers Troy

i believe the Buick 340 shares the same cam design as the Rover v8 ( the Rover being based on the Buick 215 v8 ).

you should be hip deep in cam options.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thank's Bob, But i have already spoken to Crane cam's here and in the states and thay both told me that the rover is a different lobe spaceing and core #and will not change over to the buick. At least Crane had a listing for them but is was for a 300/340 would I be right to think that the 300 would be different to the 340 as one is a 2bbl and the other is a 4bbl . Still doing homework Troy

SOME 300s are two barrels.

there were no 340s in 1964 and 65 so the 300 came with both 2v and 4v induction those years. check the 1964 engine spec page:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/y...ne_number.html

the 64 heads and intake are aluminum, the Rover guys like to use them for upgrades along with the 300 crank. all heads and intake from 1965-67 are cast iron.

Crane cam's here and in the states and thay both told me that the rover is a different lobe spaceing and core #and will not change over to the buick.

*scratches head*

i dunno, i could have sworn TA Performance sold cams for 215, 300 and 340 that all had the same part number.

i caught them being wrong about some of that stuff before though, they might have goofed ... or maybe i'm just mis-remembering...

i know they list the same rocker shaft assemblies for all of the engines, that's even in the current catalog.

The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Thank's Bob I'll get on to them today and see what thay come up with. Cheers Troy

Hay, Bob don't suppose you would have that part # for the rocker assembly. E-Mailed T&A and got Mike who is looking in to it. Here's Hoping thay can supply something

Cam issues

The big break down with the difference in the the 215 is in many ways an entirely different animal. However, that being said the 300 and the 340 share the same block design and use many of the sme parts. the 340 gains its cubes mainly in its stroke.

wow, sorry i whiffed on your question Troy.

pages 52 and 56 in the current downloadable catalog both list common part numbers for 215 / 300 / Rover on the rocker assemblies.
    Vladimir Lenin