Thread: Need re core for 1950 special

Need re core for 1950 special

My radiator is done, has leaks in the core near the top tank and full of sediment. Called one guy and says a re core will be about $1000.00,"you know copper is really high now". Another guy won't give me a ball park number and he is to far away.

I know of two shops near me, both out of business. Some of these guys who say they can do it will just be sending it out and tacking on a profit. Looked into an aluminum radiator, but nothing will really fit right and alot of money. I know there are plenty of high dollar first class radiator places, but I am just looking for a basic re core.

I know years ago I had several radiators re cored and they were in the 125-200 price range, so 300-450 today is what I should expect. I could deal with $500 if that what it takes, but a grand?

So does anyone know of a good radiator repair shop in northern Illinois or southern Wisconsin? I would even ship the radiator if necessary for a reasonable re core price.

Thanks

Joe radiator number is a harrison 3123756 date code 50-B (feb 1950) r-24
    Last edited by justjoe; 09-04-2011 at 03:13 PM.

A grand for a radiator is the going price these days

I checkeed several more places and prices are 800-1000. Of course a cheaper price would require shipping, so $1000.00 is about it. Does anyone know of a aluminum replacement radiator that would work?

unlless you really want an original 55 radiator I wouldbe looking for something fairly new that will fit. usually I go to a wrecking yard, [one that will let you look around] Look for one similar in size and capacity, [with the transmission cooler]. Then check with a parts store for prices on a new one or get the one in the yard. [with guarantee]. Basically a radiator is a radiator, you would probably need to adapt the mounts or have a shop do it. If you want an aluminum one then will have to something that fits, I think you can get a better price at parts store.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 09-10-2011 at 08:38 AM.

recore

I got two quotes to get mine recored professionally and both quotes were just a tad under $500 aud.
    I sent some exact measurement of my 52 radiator to a shop in China because they told me they could make anything up but I think I scared the crap outta them because that was three weeks ago and not a peep. Pity, really, as his initial estimation of a new aluminium one was gonna be under $500. If he gets back, I'll pass it on

got it re-cored

Sent my nasty old radiator off to Don Hart's radiator in Texas. They did a great job, it did take a couple of weeks because they were very busy. But for just over $700.00 with shipping it was a great deal. I would suggest always getting the original radiator re-cored because you know it will fit correctly without problems.

Don Hart's radiator is the place to call for your buick radiator repairs.

Joe