Thread: Heater core replacement '65 special

Heater core replacement '65 special

I have a 1965 Buick Special and I need to replace the heater core. I have already bypassed the lines but have no idea how to access the actual heater core. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Heater core removal

Unplug hoses at firewall. Remove the nuts holding the fan shield to the firewall, but leave the shield in place. One of these can be difficult to access (the manual recommends drilling a hole in the inner fender). Now you can retract the heater unit from under the dash. You should be able to replace the heater core without removing the control wires. Replace in reverse order.
    Have fun.
    Member of BCD, Buick Club of Denmark
    Webmaster for www.coolcruisers.dk

Thank you for your all your help!! I have been traveling so that is the reason for the late reply. I haven't had time to get to removing the heater core yet, but I can't wait to try it. Thanks again for the great advice

Finished replacement

So I finished the heater core replacement this afternoon finally. While I was removing the internal box I ran into some problems removing the capnuts from the firewall. I found out that there were two capnuts on two of the five bolts while the other three only had one capnut. The two bolts had one capnut between the firewall and the external case and the other capnut was outside the external case, so it only looked like there was one capnut on the bolt.