Thread: 65 Skylark in Cali

65 Skylark in Cali

Hi All first time here, and am working over a 65 Skylark Convt. Original Calif car 300 V8 2psd. Auto. with factory A/C PS,PB. Aside from all the good stuff about the car I am having some issues with the wiring, particularly the main engine harness. Seems it had some less than amateur help over the years to maintain it. I found some melted wires in the main harness, wondering if anyone would know if the wire harness from say a '64 or '66 Buick of this model would interchange? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I have great plans for this car, hope to have it 100% finished by next summer.

Wiring harness....

Well,,, you will find that the wiring harnesses from 64-65-66 will basicly be the same... but you have to match the harness to the equipment that the car came from the factory with.... a Wiring harness is easy to rebuild if you know how to solder... I have rebuilt several .....

wiring issue

Hi Doc, Thanks for the feedback, I am attempting to work over the original engine harness and with patience and a little luck I may be ok, I may still want a good used harness as a back up if this were to fail. Being new to this and without having all the wiring diagrams from various years it is a real guess as to which may interchange...

Harness....

I think you can google and get a source for the wire ends/plugs... and the rest is easy,,, just replace red with red, green with green,,, and so on... just dont use smaller wire... i have used 1 size bigger wire sometimes... measure them for length , then solder the ends on , re wrap with black tape and you are good to go.... if you can turn a door knob you can do it....