Thread: what is the extra can inline of the freon and compressor for?

what is the extra can inline of the freon and compressor for?

on my 71 skylark i guess its called the a.c. muffler?its not the drier accumulator?laying sideways on rt frame under compressor.should i keep it on? getting ready to charge the system.that can has some oil residue from the original r12.can i flush it out with air or some thing.?does it have something inside that cant be cleaned out.how about bypassing it,im going with the r134,is that horzontal can/object. nessc or does it make the system quieter?cooler more capacity?i am also getting a new drier/accumilator and expansion valve.
    Last edited by 80sguitarcarguy; 06-28-2011 at 05:23 PM.

The Can

It's a filter/dryer and accumilator and essential to the system. A change over kit to R134a would include one. None of this is cheep. You can still get R12.

i know it gets a new drier filter acumilator,but this is a can called a "muffler"laying sidways on the frame below the compressor.the filter drier accumulator is in front pass side mounted to the radiator side.

From the little I know, the muffler is a noise reduction device. It is not recommended for flushing, it can be removed. I think, I would just drain it as best you can and not worry about it.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Shock Absorber

Mechanicals don't always work the way intended. Instabilities show up at the last minute and are fixed with weghts, mufflers, and resonators.