From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: 1950 Buick Engine Swap Help

1950 Buick Engine Swap Help

I have a 1950 Buick Super with the original inline 8 and I would like to put a later model nailhead V8 in it. I was just wondering if by any chance a nailhead will bolt up to the 1950 transmission or maybe if theres an adapter out there. I know the trans are both torque tubes but i doubt itll be that easy to just swap in the engine and transmission and have it bolt up to the 1950 torque tube. Anybody who knows old buicks i could really use the help.

I haven't actually done it, but can say I have seen 54/55 Buicks and later V8,s with standard shift trans, and even early straight 8 floorshift trans bolt up to the torq tubes. One thing I know is any of the V8,s will eat the special/super transmissions for breakfast. Should use the larger Century/Roadmaster trans. If it was me I would use the large 36 to 38 floorshift. Finding these parts is not easy but they are out there.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 06-26-2011 at 08:19 AM.

1950 Buick engine swap

Why not keep the 50 engine, and switch to the 53 twin turbine tranny for the special? Makes the 50 a real tire screamer.

Yea better idea, later dynaflow, dont know why I got on the standard trans train.

Quote Originally Posted by ssk875 View Post
    I have a 1950 Buick Super with the original inline 8 and I would like to put a later model nailhead V8 in it. I was just wondering if by any chance a nailhead will bolt up to the 1950 transmission or maybe if theres an adapter out there. I know the trans are both torque tubes but i doubt itll be that easy to just swap in the engine and transmission and have it bolt up to the 1950 torque tube. Anybody who knows old buicks i could really use the help.
    I have a friend who long ago swapped a 322 V8 into a 1947 super he used the whole drive line from a 1954 buick roadmaster. It wasnt a a terribly hard swap. The spring mounts on the rear axle had to be changed. I dont remember about the motor mounts but they probably werent to hard. The engine had to set off the center line to clear the steering column. The hardest part was making an exhaust manifold for the left side. I used rectangular tube and welded an pieces to arch over the steering column. The only problem was that I should have used a larger tube for a better flow. He used the car daily for more than 10 years with no significant problems. Putting the V8 in you should use the rear axle matching the V8 both because of the ratio and because it is stronger than the straight 8 axle. You may also have to use a larger radiator and change it position to closer to the engine