- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DashPot & Idle Station Switch

DashPot & Idle Station Switch

Heeeeeee lp;
    misplaced the DashPot assembly when I rebuilt the carb and dressed up
    the intake on my 300ci 2bbl. I've been driving the auto parts stores around
    here nuts.

My bigggest question; does the carb really care the make/model that the dash pot
    switch is originally made for???

any ideas where I could starting looking would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Butch
    64 Wildcat 445
    64 LeSabre 310
    67 Impala 327

Thanks anyway. located vast number of parts @

CollectorsAutoSupply.com

dashpot.......

Actually ,,, no,,, Gm used the same item on a lot of different cars in the 50's and 60's....what is different is the bracket that holds them to the engine....
    All the dash pot does is to slow the throttle closing on cars with automatic transmissions.... because those engines are ''still loaded'' when you go to idle.... if the carb is allowed to ''snap'' shut,, it will kill the engine....the dash pot prevents this by slowly closing the throttle the last little bit....
    one of the best sources, Butch , is another old car... junk yards,,, old white headed mechanics....

now,,, the idle stator switch is a entirely different item than a dashpot.... it is the little switch back at the dogleg of the throttle linkage and it makes the trans go to ''high stall'' when the throttle is closed and the engine is idleing....... it is a micro switch and again the best source is another car of that era... old mechanic,,, ect..... lets face it ,, when a car is 40 years + auto stores usually dont have the switches....
    Last edited by DocModisett; 06-18-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: mo info

I always end up going with a retail business on the internet. My disability dictates I use a cane to get around and the majority of the "junk yards" are "pull & pay", and it would take me days to wander about looking under hoods. If I could find someone who was interested in helping me for the experience and fun times, that would be something. However, around here you'd be lucky to get someone @$13-15/hr, and a $ten dollar piece would end up costing $50-$60 - and you'd be lucky to get the right piece.

I ordered the dashpot from the above internet source, figure that's what part of my disability is meant for; stuff I can no longer do myself. I'm hoping the bracket comes with it, or at least a picture so i know what I'm looking for in my garage. course, I could be not so lazy and call it up on my Buick CD.

WildKitty,
    I think I have a dashpot bracket off a 1963 401 2 bbl manifold. Not sure if that would work for what you need or not. If you think it would work I can try to get a photo of it. It's yours if you want it and I can find it.

1956 Buick Century Estate Wagon

Long Roof (took me a min to put "long roof" together with the wagon

appreciate it, but I think the 401 is matched up with a T-400, and I think the dashpot
    is transmission sensitive. My LeSabre is a 64 with a Wildcat 310, ST-300. I don't think
    the intake manifold/bracket holes for the dashpot would be the same. Like I said, a picture would help me figure out what I'm looking for - I know I never pitched it - I NEVER throw anything Buick away...

seems "CollectorsCarSupple" advertises parts that are on consignment from independent sellers. Their "backup" unit is a complete bracket, with the dashpot and the Idler (kickdown switch) = $80, plus shipping.. Yikes!!! I just need the dashpor itself (couple pieces of metal and a spring)

Does anyone know what year they quit using this particular unit.. the one on the Wildcat's 425 looks similiar, maybe I can "borrow" another part from it just to get the LeSabre on the road

I got mine from CARS, but that was for a '60. Worth a try though.

sonna gun
    dashpot arrived - has the idler kickdown switch attached. they didn't provide the bracket to mount it to the intake.

researching for the bracket, I found a universal dashpot and bracket - which would mean I can use the original idler kickdown (that I have the bracket for). the universal dashpot and the bracket that fits, is about half of what I just paid

well, there are two dashpots that were used on 64s. TYPE 1, and TYPE 2.
    TYPE 1 is the combination of the dashpot and idle switch, TYPE 2 is the dashpot
    by itself. that was the unit I needed, but paid an arm and leg for TYPE 1, which
    I don't even know how to make work, or have the bracket for. Buick Farm has TYPE
    2, @ $12.50, but they won't take a CC order for less than $15 I remember seeing
    one, with/without the bracket, but forgot to bookmark it

Long Roof, did you find that bracket you had?

gonna go look at CARS, most GM 60s car used the same two types.