- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: 12 to 6 coverter

12 to 6 coverter

I am wondering if anyone makes a converter that would allow the use of a 12 volt battery with the original 6 volt system? I would like to try and keep my 51 original as possible but the 6 volt batteries are getting harder to get and dont seem to last. Any ideas would be great.

battery.....

You can get a 8 [eight] volt battery and use in a 6 volt car....I used to do that to make a worn out flathead ford spin fast enough to start up.... it makes the lights real bright and you have to reset the voltage regulator for it... but it works real good.... the only down side is that it will burn out a light bulb once in a while.....

If your electrical system is in good shape the 6 volt system will be just fine. I suggest that you make certain that all connections, particularly in the starting/charging circuit, are clean and the cables are in good condition. Also, old starter solenoids can be corroded internally which will make starting harder. Eight volt batteries are not the best way to go for the long haul. Get your system back to factory specs and cleanliness and you'll have no more problems. I ran a 1940 Super on 6 volts for a long time with not trouble at all.

don't convert it!

I agree with the last fella, make everything as new and your troubles will go away.....they worked when new and should again! I'm running a 60 year old Riviera and it is trouble free on 6V. If you're having battery troubles, one more thing to check is the voltage regulator. Take it to an old auto-marine shop and have the adjustments checked....optimum voltage output should be about 7.5 and cut-in/cut-out can be adjusted. Take Genny too and they can test the output of her.