Thread: Hot rod or classic /the great debate

Hot rod or classic /the great debate

having a couple of drinks with mates the other night the subject of classic cars came up and how they can be affordable compared to building a hot rod i know mates that have built both and they agree that to do a classic is more affordable than a rod ,dont get me wrong i love both but do have to lean more to the classic[buick]side,what do you think

Cars is cars, Mate! I love anything with 4 wheels and an engine. I've long thought, though, that a lot of rods get built because it's easier finding stuff to build a rod than to find the original parts for a restoration, particularly if one isn't working on a Ford or Chevy. It would be interesting to find out how many rods were built by frustrated restorers!

I have both stock and hot rods, cars, bikes, and trucks. Sometimes by the time we get them they are to far gone to restore. And some are best not to hot rod. I like them all, stock, hot rods, cars, bikes, and truck.But I have to agree with njlimbaugh on it's hard to find parts and price sometimes.

Also, most whatever you do in building YOUR Hot-Rod is correct. No one telling you that such & such is the wrong part, date code, etc. it's YOUR vehicle & in YOUR eyes it's ALL CORRECT!!!!!!
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Myself, I have never restored a vehicle. I make it work with whatever is as near as possible. If that is a hotrod well that is what it is. However any way you put it I just want to see those old pieces of machinery on the road and safe to drive.

I've brought a lot of cars back to life in my 60+ years. As the projects started there was always a desired look or "dream" of how I wanted it to turn out....they're all good as long is it's what you want. Just keep them driving!!!

Mine (if it ever gets here) has already been partly rodded, with all the stainless trim off it, as well as being chopped, so I'm kinda stuck with the rod look, which is fine by me, but if I bought it more intact, I'd keep the classic lines.

classic or hot rod

'CLASSIC', nowadays is a term that is applied to whatever AUTOMOBILE somebody wants to call a 'CLASSIC'. the term doesnt have a concise meaning anymore.. It used to be a car of a certain make,model, or year, classified by the AACA, [US antique automobile club]. As far as HOT RODS go I would say its whatever 'WE', think it is.??? ggggg

Certain years of Buick '90' series, [LIMITEDS] are classified as a true classic if it was not modified from stock. I guess if you installed a 1941-42 Roadmaster dual carb manifold then it could be classified as a HOT ROD, but of course we would then get into that debate. Its all relative

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1936-1...90-limited.htm
    Last edited by 39CENT; 05-12-2011 at 09:33 AM.

I like the classics or the stock factory cars. Hot rods are OK but not for me
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe

just to jump back into this 'debate', 'HOT ROD', is also a loose term, however there are both real 'CLASSICS' and some would say 'HOT RODS' in the Buick family. In the straight 8 era the ones with the 320 engine were pretty good runners, especially the Century,s. And the larger V8,s made their mark in the performance field. So there are choices on both sides. I have a 39 Century, and am the 3rd owner, its mostly a pretty original car with original upholstery, [even floor mats]etc. But it has some tweeks in the engine dept., along with the 1941 dual carb setup. It does all right when out on the road with its V8 brothers. I did own a 72 Skylark convert and I was going to fix it up with a big block, that would have satisfied my performance side, but sadly let it go in a weak moment. Over all I would say if I had a really nice original I would keep it mostly stock especially with the original type engine where it could go back together to a stocker. [esp, no small block or big block chevys]. remember the saying 'its only original once' or You can,t 'bring back original'.