- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Front tube shock installation

Front tube shock installation

I installed tube shocks on my 52 Super. I used shocks that were intended for 1/2 ton chevy pickups since they are of similar weight to my Buick. I used 1/4 inch wall 2 X 4 rectangular tubing for the shock towers. I removed the rivets in the bottom A frame and fabricated the bottom mount out of the same material and bolted it to the bottom A frame through the rivet holes. I left the knee action shocks in place. I also installed a new 1 inch diameter front sway bar. The improved drivability was fantastic and very little front end diving when the brakes are applied. I have driven about 8,000 miles on this modification with no problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good! Don't forget that it's the shock fluid in the upper A-arm that also lubes the pivot points. If you don't keep some sort of lube in them, they'll wear pretty fast; then you will be doing more repair work!

Front tube shock installation

Quote Originally Posted by njlimbaugh View Post
    Looks good! Don't forget that it's the shock fluid in the upper A-arm that also lubes the pivot points. If you don't keep some sort of lube in them, they'll wear pretty fast; then you will be doing more repair work!
    yes they will weld if you dont get lube in there. I bought a lowered spindle setup at a swap meet, with one side galled and it is STUCK. Anyway I will unstick it and put some lube fittings on it. You probably can drill and tap a hole into the old shock at the upper A arm shaft and screw in zerk fittings
    Last edited by 39CENT; 05-28-2011 at 07:14 PM.

lubing knee action shocks

I removed all the shock fluid I could get out and filled the reservoirs with a "low viscosity" chassis grease. That ended the constant leaking problem but they are still lubricated.

Tube shocks

Suntreemcanic, Could you tell me the part no.or the year of the vehicle that the shocks fit? and could you give the length of the shock towers you built and where did you buy a 1 in.anti sway bar? Thank you, Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by 39cent View Post
    yes they will weld if you dont get lube in there. I bought a lowered spindle setup at a swap meet, with one side galled and it is stuck. Anyway i will unstick it and put some lube fittings on it. You probably can drill and tap a hole into the old shock at the upper a arm shaft and screw in zerk fittings
    thanx great post! And applies to most all 39 to 53 Buicks!
    Last edited by 39CENT; 05-28-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Shocks

Jerry, the front shocks are from a 1/2 ton Chev 2 wheel drive pickup. I used Monroe Gas Magnum part #34817 front shocks. The shock tower's overall length is 9 1/8 inch. I bought the sway bar from Quickor Garage in Portland, Oregon. You can Google Quickor Garage and get their contact info. He does not show the sway bar in his catalogue but he has the plans and he built one for me. I just talked to him at the Portland Swap Meet in April. My car had maximum front end dive when you applied the brakes, and just driving it a couple of hours wore you out. I could not get the tires balanced and I always had vibration. With just the addition of tube shocks at all 4 corners and the sway bar it drives 1000% better. I have absolutely no tire vibration now. The old shocks, even though they were rebuilt just are not up to todays standards. I will get off my soap box.

Tube shocks

Thank you for the info. I feel the same way after driveing my 51 special.