Thread: TH200 Trans 1-2 shift slips

Question TH200 Trans 1-2 shift slips

I just rebuilt my TH200 trans behind my 3.8. The 1-2 shift is sloppy and soft. I installed a shift kit and 3rd shifts fine. Not having the right tool I did not replace the apply pin for the servo. I am thinking about putting the next longer one in. Can I use washers instead? Does anyone have an idea on how to determine the right pin without the high dollar tool? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: TH200 Trans 1-2 shift slips

I assume you are referring to a 200-C 3-spd, as opposed to the 200-4R 4-spd. While I am not the expert, from what I understand through talking to transmission shops, the 200-C really isn't strong enough with otherwise stock internals for such mods as a shift kit.

The 200-C was offered as a cheaper, lighter alternative to its TH350/TH400 cousins. The bulk of its internals are aluminum... and they don't hold up well. While steel replacements are available, and they can be made to live, it's a lot like hot-rodding a Honda, it can be done, but you'll spend more money and may not really be happy with the result...

While I can't help with your existing problem, However, I have a number for a local shop in my area that you might consult on this. Quality Transmission @ 434 295 1260.

I am curious, did you rebuild the 200 for the sake of preserving originality? Most people swap these for TH350s when they go bad... I have, however, seen a few opt for beefing up the 200 to keep the car original (although originality isn't necessarily a good thing in cars that came with the 200). Difference? Beefing up a 200 with all the upgrades costs anywhere from $900-1300 for a bench job (and that was 12 years ago), whereas a built TH350 tops out at around $950 INSTALLED... Honestly, you're much better off with the TH350. Just my $0.02.
    James Collier

Check out my music at www.myspace.com/allergic2air

Also on FaceBook...

Thanks for the Tip

Thank you. Do you know if the TH350 is a clean swap; no linkage or other mods needed?

Re: TH200 Trans 1-2 shift slips

From my experience, linkage, length, etc. is the same. Most models it is pretty much a bolt-in, but on some, crossmember adjustment/relocation/reorientation is required, nothing major. Also needs a vacuum line from intake or carb for the modulator. If you do this swap, make sure you get a BOP bellhousing case, a Chevrolet pattern will NOT bolt up. Lockup convertor is optional if your car was designed with one. Will help fuel economy, but won't hurt anything if not equipped.
    James Collier

Check out my music at www.myspace.com/allergic2air

Also on FaceBook...

Thank you !!!

I will search out a TH350. Thanks again.