Thread: 67 GS 400 cooked wiring..........

67 GS 400 cooked wiring..........

Last March 2010, I put in a sub-woofer with a 1000 watt amp and tied it directly to the battery. Went out for 2 hours riding around working out the bass (mostly Van Halen) and on my last stop of the day, the car was dead. No electric at all. I had it towed home.

New battery didn't work. New regulator didn't work. New Alt didn't work. I got so frustrated that I just ordered a new wiring harness from year one. Problem solved. Don't know why and I don't care cause the car worked again after 2 months.

My question is I bought a capacitor but the more I read the more I don't think this will solve my problem? I don't want to cook the wiring again, if that is what I did to begin with. Am I on the right track with the capacitor or do I need to install a larger Alternator? I have 105 Amps right now. And if I install a larger ALT do I need beefed up wiring? This is getting out of hand!

I can't answere you question, but I have to comment, mostly because you're workin' with a '67 GS400

I am taking the upgraded "stereo" out of mine the next time I work on it. Going back to the original am/fm. I never listen to it anyway. For a fration of the price I have a great exhaust system and electric cut outs, now that sound good...

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Yeah, I get that heavy metal thunder should be enough but........

I have to have music. I still have my original AM Sonomatic and it works but I never use it. I haven't listened to broadcast radio is over 6 years. Now it is all just SIRIUS. Well worth the investment of $500 for the lifetime subscription.

My after market radio is under the passenger seat. Not convenient but I'm not cutting anything in the interior.

I like the idea of electric cutouts. Gotta be louder that a Harley!