Thread: 52 Special Need Help With Directional Indicators / Turn Signals

52 Special Need Help With Directional Indicators / Turn Signals

I've recently become the proud owner of a 52 Special and it doesn't have turn signals. I am new to rebuilding a 50's era car and I have been doing some research on adding turn signals. I would like to use all stock parts if possible and I've come across a lot of different parts for sale but I don't know exactly what all I need to do this. Can anyone that has done this or that has a similar Buick tell me what parts I need to acquire and what would be involved in this upgrade? Is this something that I can just add on to my existing steering column or would I have to change out my whole column? Thanks.

depands on if you wanna keep the stock look or just re-wire and put new sockets wire and fuses in? i belive if i rember correctly kanter.com has the parts your looking for, also is it converted to 12v or is it still 6 volt?

I'd really like to keep the stock look but so far I haven't had any luck finding the right parts. I found some parts for earlier Buicks but none of them look the same as the pictures in my 52 shop manual. Oh, and its converted to 12v. I wish it wasn't but the guy that owned it before me did a hack job on it and changed it over to 12.

Aftermarket switches for the steering column are available from lots of sources; some with 4-way flashers built in, some just for turn signals. I bought my last switch from C.W. Moss (look on the internet) who had the best prices at the time. You will need to convert your taillight sockets and parking light sockets to dual element type if they aren't already. Any aftermarket switch you buy must have 7 wires coming out of it; one from the flasher, one from the brake light switch, one from the parking light terminal, one for lh parker, one for rh parker, one for lh brake, one for rh brake. You may need to run a ground from the switch to the dash, depends on how well insulated the steering column is from the rest of the car. Flashers are available from any auto parts house. There may be slight variations from the above depending on who you buy the switch from. Search the internet for wiring diagrams if one isn't provided with the switch.