-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Oil system mods 320

Oil system mods 320

I have tried searching the forum as I know it has been discussed.
    I have a 320 that I have gotten running but I want to convert the oil system to a more modern filter setup. Before I really starting running the motor. What have/can be done to upgrade the filtering and get away from the old filters. Any help or pointing to a thread would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ken

oil filter for straight 8

Quote Originally Posted by handmedown40limited View Post
    I have tried searching the forum as I know it has been discussed.
    I have a 320 that I have gotten running but I want to convert the oil system to a more modern filter setup. Before I really starting running the motor. What have/can be done to upgrade the filtering and get away from the old filters. Any help or pointing to a thread would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ken
    there is a site that has a descripion of adapting a full flow oil filter to GMC and Chevy inlines. The GMC article is basically the same setup for Buick straight 8,s.

http://www.inliners.org/tech/full_flo_GMC.html
    Last edited by 39CENT; 04-10-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Im new to this and even though i oriellys has new canister filters im wondering about a different filter. Transdapt and other companies sell those remote oil filter relocaters that come with the modern spin on filters. The come in single and dual applications and im wondering if that can be used on a 320 inline 8? im just worried about the size of the line versus the originals and if them make adaptors that would make this possible?

If you convert the whole primary oiling system to force-fed filtered system, you need way bigger lines than the OE side-stream lines that only supply to the valvetrain.

oiling

I run a full flow oiling system on my engines................prior to assembly, remove the oil pump, clean up the oil passage (leaving the oil pump) with a half inch end mill just far enough to clear the thread boss on the outside of the engine, drive a plug in te passage past the thread boss on the outside of the block (this will stop the oil from getting to the side oil gally, then drill and tap the existing boss to at least 1/4 inch NPT, install tubing adapter and run at least a 3/8 tube to remote oil set up, exit the filter and run a 3/8 tube back to the oil gally, drill and tap the oil gally to accept new line.

note I ask you to run "hard tubing" it flows much better than hose, this serves well for a performance set up.......I up sized all my tubing and fittings to 1/2 inch after adding a piston cooling oil spray system last year...................might not be worth the trouble if you are not racing ?
    just keep your oil changed

Quote Originally Posted by saltracer View Post
    I run a full flow oiling system on my engines................prior to assembly, remove the oil pump, clean up the oil passage (leaving the oil pump) with a half inch end mill just far enough to clear the thread boss on the outside of the engine, drive a plug in te passage past the thread boss on the outside of the block (this will stop the oil from getting to the side oil gally, then drill and tap the existing boss to at least 1/4 inch NPT, install tubing adapter and run at least a 3/8 tube to remote oil set up, exit the filter and run a 3/8 tube back to the oil gally, drill and tap the oil gally to accept new line.

note I ask you to run "hard tubing" it flows much better than hose, this serves well for a performance set up.......I up sized all my tubing and fittings to 1/2 inch after adding a piston cooling oil spray system last year...................might not be worth the trouble if you are not racing ?
    just keep your oil changed

the stock oil filter system on the straight 8,s just filter oil to the rocker arms. If you change it to a modern full flow filter you need to follow the method saltracer has outlined. I have entered a site below that shows how it is done on a GMC engine which is similar to the Buick. Oil filter adapters can be bought at most parts stores.

http://www.inliners.org/tech/full_flo_GMC.html
    Last edited by 39CENT; 04-10-2011 at 11:17 PM.

straight 8 spin on filter

Quote Originally Posted by 48buickkid View Post
    Im new to this and even though i oriellys has new canister filters im wondering about a different filter. Transdapt and other companies sell those remote oil filter relocaters that come with the modern spin on filters. The come in single and dual applications and im wondering if that can be used on a 320 inline 8? im just worried about the size of the line versus the originals and if them make adaptors that would make this possible?
    just reread this, got carried away with the full flow idea. Yes you could use a transdapt spin on filter adapter in place of the original type, being aware it isnt full flow and just filters rocker arm system. Its a partial filter and eventually still filters your oil.

39 CENT...........thanks for posting the link on converting to a full flow oiling system..........I think I will copy that to paper and keep ot on me at all times.........I must have had to draw and/or explain that fifty times......

again thanks, Dale

Full flow oil system for buick straight eight

The description given on plugging the oil passage, drilling a new outlet and then re-plumbing the output of the filter to the main gallery works quite well. This is the system used on the Chevrolet 261 truck engines and copied extensively on GMC and Chev 6 engines. I did it on my Buick 320 with simple hand tools using just a drill, a tap and making a simple aluminum plug to plug the port between the pump discharge connection on the bottom of the block and the main oil gallery. I have included a picture or two of the final result.
    Attached Images Attached Images