- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 215,300, 340
- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 300 block after my recent "big bang". My engine threw a rod.

Angry Looking for a 300 block after my recent "big bang". My engine threw a rod.

Sadly my newly rebuilt 300 engine ran into some problems yesterday while driving my 64' Lesabre. The engine only had about 400 miles on the freshly rebuilt engine(built by me) when it decided to throw a rod and make a sizable hole in the block.
    So, I'm looking for another usable 300 block. Does anyone have one they'd like to part with? I spent a lot of time and money on rebuiling this engine and am really quite down in the dumps.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ian

Find Cole d on V8 Buick. He is in BC and always has Buick smallblock engines for sale. Here is his info you can PM him on there.

I would consider a Buick 350 swap since the parts are cheaper and not hard to find.

http://www.v8buick.com/member.php?u=1467
    Sean G
    70 Skylark-Twin turbo 350 powered
    75 Regal-350
    76 Century-350
    78 Skyhawk-V6
    and 18 spare Buick 350s in the barn.

Thanks for the lead Sean, I appreciate it.

Ian

What Let Go?

Mistakes are always worth something. I plan on doing my '64 over soon. Is yours
    11:1 compression? Auto trans? Did the cap come off? Piston still in bore? Valve fall in? Loose oil? Don't feal inferrior about doing your own work! Your miles ahead of check writers. We really want to know what went wrong.

Still not sure what exactly went wrong as the car is still in another city! Hopefully I'll get it this weekend and start tearing into it to see what went wrong. I'll fill everyone in once the tear-down starts.

Sorry about your engine. I have a complete drivetrain. 350 engine, 70,000 miles. located in Victoria Let me know if you are interested.

Eiunar

Update and a picture.

So I finally got around to tearing down the engine to see what happened and low and behold the engine threw a rod. Attached is a link to a photo.

http://www3.telus.net/public/idmont/...oleinblock.jpg

So I've already swapped the engine out for another 300, but I also got another "300" block which turns out to be a 340. So do 300 parts work with the 340?

I agree......

You definitly need to find out why the engine tossed the rod.... there is a lot of questions here ,,,, this is not a normal happening,, I have built a ton of old engines and not ever had one to come apart with less than a 1000 miles.... I did have one that lost a cam at 3000 miles, due to not having zinc in the oil..... did you put zddp in the oil before you ever started the engine up???? if not , that could be the problem....
    when you did the rebuild , were the rods reconditioned???? did a rod bolt break,,, did you use a torque wrench when you installed the rotating assembly?? Not trying to give you a hard time at all, pard ,, just trying to help, and keep the same thing from happening again.... i am big on guys doing the engines their selves.... I do,,, and it has saved me a bunch of money over the years.....If I can help , let me know.... I built and raced the 300 back in the 60's.... won more, broke less, and had more fun with that car than any other that I have owned...... BUT ANY FLAT TAPPET ENGINE MUST,MUST,MUST HAVE ZDDP ADDED TO THE OIL....or the engine will not live....
    The 340 has a higher and wider deck, so the intake manifolds will not interchange,,, but I think the heads, and exhaust manifolds will.... but if you have headers expect them to rub the frame and you will have to work on them to make them work without rubbing.....been there , done that....
    Last edited by DocModisett; 04-12-2011 at 04:32 AM. Reason: mo info

I just posted a thread aluding to engine failure after a rebuild - - the timing main gear.
    I hope to get some feedback so I don't go thru a "big bang"

Yes, I used a torque wrench on everything when putting the engine back together! And no, the rods weren't reconditioned by the machinist, and thats what failed, one of the rods basically came apart but I don't think the rod bolts broke. I'm not too sure what ZDDP is, so no, it wasn't added to the engine oil.