Thread: Trans flush on 67 Electra auto

Trans flush on 67 Electra auto

im 25 with my 1st classic is it i know certain things can damage a classic more then help a car. Is a transmission flush better then just a pan drop. And what is the recommended fluid used.

Pan drop, filter change and GM type Dexron should keep you mobile !!
    Last edited by Rivman; 02-25-2011 at 05:43 AM.
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

I've heard different feedback on flushes. I determined the outcome has alot to do with the type of flushing machine and the experience of the operator. With a flush, the filter typically does not get changed nor does the sediment get cleaned out of the pan. You'll need to specify if you want the filter changed.

As Rivman said, I usually just drop the pan, change filter and refill and that process is outlined in the manual and works well if the tranny has had the recommended change intervals. The drawback to this process is you don't get the fluid out of the converter, only what has drained back to the pan which might be about half the total capacity. Normally not a problem but if the fluid is really old and nasty is can be a problem.

You have a couple options if you are concerned about this. Drop the pan and change the filter and refill with new fluid. Then disconnect the tranny cooling return line from the radiator, put a piece of hose on it and directed it into a large pan. Start the car and have 8-10 quarts of fluid ready and start dumping it in at about the same rate as its being pumped out. Once it starts coming out looking like new fluid, shut the car off, reconnect the line and adjust to correct level. This process can be a little tricky as you might imagine but I have found it to be effective.

If you are concerned about the fluid left in the converter and don't want to try the above procedure, do the "drop pan-change filter" process and drive the car for a couple weeks. Then have the fluid in the pan pumped out through the dipstick tube and refill again. At this point you'll have "mostly" new fluid in there.

Fluid rated as meeting Dexron III specs is fine.
    Jason Z
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    66-67 Rivs
    Check Out ROA Right Here https://www.rivowners.org/

Cool

Some newer cars can only be flushed, they do not have a dip stick. I think that is stupid but that's car companys now a days.

As others have said drop pan/change filter or do that and the tranny line (just be very carefull doing it that way), or drop pan/change filter top off and bring it to be flushed.
    ~

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

1970 Buick GSX "Matilda"

BCA # 45934
    Central New England Chapter / BCA
    Buick GS Club of America #2943
    Northeast GS/GN Club #
    BPG #2313